Chorba Frik or Chorba Freekeh is an Algerian stewy soup popular during the month of Ramadan. Besides Algeria, Chorba finds a place in the dining tables of Eastern Europe, Central Asia and the Middle East.
Frik or Freekeh is young green wheat. In our chorba frik recipe we have used bulgur wheat instead. Mainly because of its easy availability across the globe. Why post a recipe with an ingredient that is not easily available to many?
We slow cooked our chorba for 2 hours in an oven. Slow cooking brings the best flavour out of each ingredient used. However, if you are short of time, feel free to finish it off on a stove top. Our chorba frik recipe will yield 3 servings, with 427 kilocalories in each. To follow our chorba frik recipe, you will need the ingredients listed below,
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|To Pressure Cook|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 tablespoon|
|Garlic soaked in olive oil||40 grams|
|Tomato paste||1 tablespoon|
|Goat leg meat on bones||500 grams|
|Coriander powder||1 tablespoon|
|Black pepper powder||1 tablespoon|
|Bulgur wheat (Dalia)||25 grams|
|Coriander leaves||a handful|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Goat meat is lower in fat than chicken and higher in protein than beef. It also is low on saturated fat. Consuming goat meat in moderation reduces the risk of obesity and cardiovascular disease.Facts
- Vitamin antioxidants like E & C in tomatoes contribute to a healthy cardiovascular system.
- Selenium in chickpea aids liver enzyme function and helps detox cancer causing causing compounds in the body.
- Insoluble fibers found in bulgur wheat reduce the risk of developing gallstones.
Video Walk Through : Chorba Frik Recipe
Instructions : Chorba Frik Recipe
- Soak chickpeas in water for 24 hours or over night.
- After 24 hours, wash the chickpeas thoroughly and transfer them to a pressure cooker.
- Cover the chickpeas with water and pressure cook for 15 minutes. You can also cook the chickpeas in an open pot. Just add enough water and cook until the chickpeas become soft. Should take about 30 minutes.
- Drain the chickpeas and set them aside to cool.
Prep Bulgur Wheat
- Dry roast some bulgur wheat on medium heat until it mildly browns. Set aside to cool down.
- Add extra virgin olive oil to an oven proof pot on medium heat. In our case it was a dutch oven.
- Throw in the goat legs and braise them for 2 minutes.
- Add onions and garlic soaked in olive oil. Saute them for 5 minutes on medium heat by adding salt to your taste. You can add fresh garlic instead of the ones soaked in olive oil.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Continue to saute for 2 minutes.
- Add coriander powder, black pepper powder and salt to taste. Mix everything thoroughly.
- Add enough water to cover the contents of the pot by half an inch.
- Cover the pot and take it off the heat.
- Transfer it to an oven preheated to 225ºC (437ºF).
- As soon as the pot goes in, reduce the temperature of the oven to 150ºC (302ºF) and cook for 2 hours.
- After two hours, remove the pot from the oven and move it to a stove top set to medium-low heat.
- Add the pressure cooked chickpeas and mix.
- Sprinkle dry roasted bulgur wheat slowly and mix simultaneously. Cook for 2 more minutes and take it off the heat.
Serve Chorba Frik hot with a handful of fresh coriander leaves.
Chorba Frik – An Algerian Iftar Treat, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.