This chicken rendang is our version of the ceremonial Indonesian curry. Rendang is equally popular in Malaysia with its own distinction. As always, we will cook with what we have. This time around we managed to pick up galangal and kaffir lime leaves. If you are not as fortunate as us, don’t lose spirit. You can still make a great tasting chicken rendang by replacing galangal with twice the amount of ginger and a tablespoon of lemon zest instead of kaffir lime leaves.
This chicken rendang recipe is so easy to make. Cook this like us and turn every day into a celebration. Our recipe will yield 5 servings of chicken rendang, with 567 kilocalories in each. To follow our rendang recipe, you will need the ingredients listed below.
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|To Make Tamarind Extract|
|Tamarind flesh||30 grams|
|Hot water||400 ml|
|For Rendang Paste|
|Lemon grass||10 grams|
|Kaffir lime leaves||8|
|Red chilli (Mild)||45 grams|
|To Sear Chicken|
|Coconut oil||1 tablespoon|
|Grated coconut||200 grams|
|Coconut oil||1 tablespoon|
|Thick coconut milk||250 ml|
|Palm jaggery||25 grams|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Chicken contains all B vitamins including B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12, folate, biotin, and choline.
- Galangal prevents chronic gastritis and ulcers in the digestive tract.
- Kaffir lime contains volatile compounds that detoxify blood by eliminating foreign agents.
Video Walk Through – Chicken Rendang – Rendang Recipe
Instructions – Chicken Rendang – Rendang Recipe
Prep Tamarind Extract
- Soak 30 grams of tamarind flesh in 400 ml of hot water for 30 minutes.
- 30 minutes later, press and squeeze the juices out of the tamarind flesh.
- Filter the juices through a fine sieved colander and discard the solids.
Prep Rendang Paste
- Add garlic, ginger, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, shallots, lemon grass and red chillies to a blender. Use any mild red chilli available in your region. We used Hungarian wax.
- Blitz everything into a thick paste.
- Set a pot on medium heat.
- Add coconut oil and allow it to heat up.
- Add chicken drumsticks and sear them for 2 minutes.
- Once seared, remove from heat and set aside briefly.
- Allow the same pot to continue on medium heat.
- Add freshly grated coconut. Saute and mildly brown it for a minute or two.
- Push the browned coconut to a side in the pot and add coconut oil.
- Add cinnamon stick, star anise, cloves and green cardamom. Saute for a minute.
- Add the freshly made rendang paste and saute for two to three minutes,
- Once the rendang paste has caramelized, add thick coconut milk gradually and mix simultaneously. Once everything is mixed well, bring to a simmer.
- Add tamarind water, crushed palm jaggery and salt to your taste. Mix well and bring to a simmer again.
- Add seared chicken drumsticks. Mix well and bring to a simmer.
- Cover the pot with a tight lid and reduce heat to the lowest. Cook this way for 40 minutes.
- 40 minutes later, most of the moisture in the pot would have reduced. Gently mix once and turn off the heat in 5 minutes.
Service this chicken rendang with any rice, millet or bread of your choice.
Chicken Rendang, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.