Zafrani pulao is a saffron based pilaf reserved for special occasions. We wonder why? It such a simple dish and takes hardly any effort to make. Traditionally zafrani pulao is made with basmati rice, but our version of this pilaf replaces basmati with barnyard millet. Feel free to use any light coloured millet of your choice.
Barnyard Millet (Hindi: Jhangora; Tamil: Kuthiravaali; Telugu: Odalu)
Our zafrani pulao recipe will yield 2 servings, with 564 kilocalories in each. To follow our zafrani pulao recipe, you will need the ingredients listed below,
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|Sunflower oil||1 tablespoon|
|To Pressure Cook Millet|
|Barnyard millet||150 grams|
|Stir Fry Pulao-Pilaf|
|Sunflower oil||1/2 tablespoon|
|Cashew nuts||28 grams|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Barnyard millet is a rich source of magnesium and lowers the risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Compounds such as crocetin and crocin found in saffron are used in treating degenerative brain disorders such as Alzheimer’s.
Video Walk Through : Zafrani Pulao – A Saffron Pilaf Of Barnyard Millet
Instructions : Zafrani Pulao – A Saffron Pilaf Of Barnyard Millet
- Chop two onions into tiny bits.
- Add 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil and mix well.
- Transfer to a baking tray or an oven safe skillet.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 225ºC (437ºF) for 30 minutes. Each oven is different, hence browning time may vary. Keep a close watch so that the onions don’t get charred. If your oven is preheated for long, it should take about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
Prep Barnyard Millet
- Wash and sort barnyard millet thoroughly.
- Transfer millet to a pressure cooker and cover with water. The water level should be a millimetre above the surface of the millet. Anything more will make each grain stick to each other.
- Add a couple of strands of saffron to flavour the millet.
- Pressure cook on medium heat for 2 whistles.
- After 2 whistles, remove it from heat and let the pressure release naturally. Should take about 15-20 minutes.
- Once the pressure is released, open the pressure cooker and fluff the millet with a fork.
- Set aside.
- Add 20 grams of ginger and 30 grams of garlic to a grinder.
- Blitz into a smooth paste and set aside.
- Heat about 50 ml of milk and pour it over a pinch of saffron in a mixing bowl.
- Mix with a spoon. This allows the saffron to flavour and colour the milk.
- Set aside.
Make Zaffrani Pulao
- Add butter and sunflower oil to a sauce pan or skillet on medium heat.
- Add cinnamon stick, cloves, bay leaf, raisins and cashew nuts. Saute and brown everything on medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute or two.
- Add pressure cooked barnyard millet and salt to your taste. Mix everything well.
- Add saffron infused milk. Mix and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Take it off the heat and serve.
Enjoy zafrani pulao as is or with any of our fabulous curries listed below.
Curries to Pair With Zafrani Pulao
Zafrani Pulao – A Saffron Pilaf Of Barnyard Millet, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.