Kolhapur is a Maharastrian city renowned for its food and handcrafted leather footwear. We tasted veg kolhapuri for the first time a few years ago at a small bar in our neighbourhood. We loved it and took no time in adding it to the list of curries we would cook in the future. Like many of our other curries, this veg kolhapuri recipe also follows a two part process. Make a flavourful masala paste that keeps the essence of Kolhapuri cuisine intact and turn it into an indulging curry.
In our veg kolhapuri recipe, we have used cauliflowers. You may use any vegetable of your choice. Our veg kolhapuri recipe will yield 6 servings, with 169 kilocalories in each. To follow our veg kolhapuri recipe you will need the ingredients listed below,
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|Veg Kolhapuri Masala Paste|
|Grated dry coconut||50 grams|
|Cashew nuts||28 grams|
|Coriander seeds||2 tablespoon|
|Cumin seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Caraway seeds (Shahi jeera)||1 teaspoon|
|Black peppercorns||1 teaspoon|
|Mustard seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Dried red chilli||2|
|Curry leaves||A sprig|
|Sesame Seed Paste|
|Sesame seeds||2 tablespoon|
|Veg Kolhapuri Curry|
|Coconut oil||1 tablespoon|
|Nutmeg powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Red chilli powder||1 tablespoon|
|Palm Jaggery||20 grams|
|25% Milk Cream||40 grams|
|Coriander leaves||A handful|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Coconut oil contains lauric acid which lowers bad cholesterol (LDL) and increases good cholesterol (HDL).
- Coconut has antiviral, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-parasitic properties that kills harmful bacteria, viruses, fungi, and parasites.
- Cauliflower contains a sulphur compound called sulphurophane which is known to slow down tumour growth.
- Cashew nuts are a rich source of an essential B complex vitamin called pyridoxine. Pyridoxine reduces the risk of homocystinuria, and sideroblastic anaemia.
Video Walk Through – Veg Kolhapuri Recipe
Instructions – Veg Kolhapuri Recipe
Make Kolhapuri Masala Paste for Veg Kolhapuri Recipe
- Set a pan on medium heat.
- Add desiccated coconut, cashew nuts, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, caraway seeds, black peppercorns, mustard seeds and dried red chillies. Toast on medium heat for a minute or two. Pay close attention so that you don’t brown the spices.
- Transfer the toasted stuff to a blender.
- Add onions, curry leaves and garlic. Add very little water and blitz into a smooth paste.
Make Sesame Seed Paste
- Set a pan on medium heat.
- Add sesame seeds and toast them for a minute or two. Pay close attention so that the sesame seeds are not burnt.
- Transfer to a grinder and add very little water. Blitz into a smooth paste and set aside.
Make Veg Kolhapuri
- Set a sauce pan or pot on medium heat.
- Add coconut oil.
- Once the oil heats up, add star anise, cloves, mace, cinnamon stick, black cardamom, bay leaf and asafoetida. Saute for a minute or two.
- Add cauliflower and saute for 5 minutes. Our veg kolhapuri recipe is very forgiving, you may add any vegetable of your choice.
- Add kolhapuri masala paste and sesame seed paste. Mix well and cook for 10 to 15 minutes on medium heat.
- Add nutmeg powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, palm jaggery and salt to your taste. Mix well. If you cannot find palm jaggery, feel free to use cane or coconut jaggery. You can also use brown sugar but palm jaggery is the healthiest option.
- Add enough water and cover the cauliflower. Mix well and simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes or until the cauliflower is cooked.
- Once the cauliflower is cooked turn off heat.
- Add 25% milk cream and coriander leaves. Mix them into the curry.
Veg Kolhapuri Recipe, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.