Vada curry is a popular street food from Tamil Nadu. Our vada curry recipe is a smart way to finish off the leftover vadas. This does not mean that you cannot make vada curry unless you have left overs. Originally this recipe was made to put the leftovers to good use, but this should not stop you from making them with fresh vadas.
Make a semi thick gravy. Crush the vadas and throw them in. Mix, simmer and you are done. Our vada curry recipe will yield 2 servings, with 655 kilocalories in each. To make our vada curry recipe, you will need the following ingredients,
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|Dry coconut||100 grams|
|Sunflower oil||1 tablespoon|
|Cumin seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Fennel seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Green cardamom||2 pods|
|Dried red chilli||1|
|Green Chilli||1 small|
|Curry leaves||10 leaves|
|Ginger garlic paste||1 tablespoon|
|Black pepper||1 teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1 teaspoon|
|Pepper powder||1 teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||1 tablespoon|
|Baked Vada (Recipe here)||7|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- The dietary fiber in coconut cannot be digested by the body. Hence it has no effect on blood sugar as no calories are derived from it.
- Protein contributes to 26% of the calories in lentils used to make vada. This makes vada a good source of protein for vegetarians and vegans.
Video Walk Through : Vada Curry Recipe
Instructions : Vada Curry Recipe
- Dry roast coconut briefly on medium heat and set it aside to cool down completely.
- To a blender add the dry roasted coconut, shallots, tomatoes and blitz them into a smooth paste.
- Add sunflower oil to a pot on medium heat.
- Once the oil heats up, add mustard seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, dried red chilli, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, green cardamom, green chilli, asafoetida, ginger garlic paste and curry leaves. Saute them thoroughly for a minute.
- Bring in the smooth paste from the blender.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, pepper powder and salt to your taste.
- Add enough water to form a semi thick gravy. Mix thoroughly and simmer for 5 minutes
- Crush some baked masala vadas and throw them into the gravy.
- Simmer further on medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Throw in a handful of coriander leaves and mix.
- Turn off the heat and rest the vada curry for 30 minutes to 1 hour before serving.
Serve the vada curry with pongal, idiyappam, idli, dosa or any flat bread.
Vada Curry Recipe, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.