Turmeric pilaf or fried rice. Call it whatever you want.
Of late we have been making a lot of curries. Pairing them with a garden variety flat bread or plain rice is monotonous. This is when recipes such as the turmeric rice fetch a refreshing change.
For now check out the links below,
Veg Curries – Click Here
Meat Curries – Click Here
Our turmeric rice recipe yields 3 servings, with 272 kilocalories in each. To follow our turmeric rice recipe, you will need the ingredients listed below.
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|To Pressure Cook|
|Brown rice||150 grams|
|Water||2x the quantity of rice|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|To Stir Fry Rice|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 tablespoon|
|Garlic soaked in olive oil||40 grams|
|Dried red chilli||1|
|Palm jaggery||20 grams|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Turmeric is used as an inexpensive way to treat Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (IBD) such as Crohn’s and ulcerative colitis.
- The oil present in brown rice lowers bad cholesterol.
Video Walk Through – Turmeric Rice Recipe
Instructions – Turmeric Rice Recipe
Prep Brown Rice
- Wash and sort brown rice thoroughly.
- Transfer brown rice to a pressure cooker.
- Add water. Water level should just be a millimetre or two above the surface of the rice.
- Add a pinch of turmeric and mix it in.
- Pressure cook on medium heat for 2 whistles and allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Fluff the rice using a spoon or fork and set aside. Ensure that you don’t mash or break the grains.
Make Turmeric Rice
- Set a sauce pan or skillet on medium heat.
- Add extra virgin olive oil.
- Add dried red chilli and green chilli.
- Add garlic soaked in extra virgin olive oil. If you haven’t soaked garlic in olive oil for at least a week, feel free to use fresh garlic.
- Add chopped onion and crushed palm jaggery. Saute and sweat the onions on medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. If you do not like palm jaggery, feel free to use cane or coconut jaggery. Even brown sugar will do, but palm jaggery is the healthiest option.
- Add the pressure cooked rice and salt to your taste. Mix gently for a minute and ensure that you do not break the grains.
- Take it off the heat and serve hot.
Enjoy turmeric rice as is or with a curry of your choice.
Turmeric Rice, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.