In Tamizh ‘Thayir’ is curd and ‘Sadham’ is a staple made out of any cereal grain. In the garden variety thayir sadham, rice is used. We don’t know about the rest of India, but for the majority in Tamizh Nadu, curd rice is the primary comfort food.
Our thayir sadham recipe borrows inspiration from the curd rice variants made across the state and introduces a few flavour elements we love to eat. Do not walk away from this recipe thinking, what could be so different or innovative in a simple thayir sadham. We guarantee you one thing, this recipe of ours is like no other that you have ever tasted.
Our curd rice inspired recipe will yield 2 servings, with 666 kilocalories in each. To follow our recipe, you will need the ingredients listed below,
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|To Pressure Cook|
|Pearl barley||150 grams|
|Cheddar cheese||50 grams|
|Water||about 300 grams|
|To Caramelize Onions|
|Sunflower oil||2 tablespoon|
|Sesame Seed Paste|
|Sesame seed||1 tablespoon|
|Sesame oil||1 tablespoon|
|Mustard seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Urad dal||1/2 teaspoon|
|Chana dal||1/2 teaspoon|
|Dried red chilli||4|
|Curry leaves||A sprig|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Barley’s insoluble fiber produces propionic acid which plays a key role in lowering cholesterol in the body.
- Curd minimizes the risk of high blood pressure by preventing thickening of carotid artery.
- Magnesium in sesame seeds promote vascular and respiratory health.
Video Walk Through : Thayir Sadham – Inspired By Curd Rice, Elevated By Barley
Instructions : Thayir Sadham – Inspired By Curd Rice, Elevated By Barley
- Chop two onions into tiny bits.
- Add 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil and mix well.
- Transfer to a baking tray or an oven safe skillet.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 225ºC (437ºF) for 30 minutes. Each oven is different, hence browning time may vary. Keep a close watch so that the onions don’t get charred. If your oven is preheated for long, it should take about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
Prep Sesame Paste
- Dry roast 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds on medium heat and brown them slightly.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a blender.
- Add very little water, blitz into a smooth paste and set aside.
Prep Pearl Barley
- Dry roast barley briefly for a minute or two on medium heat.
- Transfer to a bowl. Add water and soak for 4 hours.
- 4 hours later, discard the water. Wash and sort barley thoroughly.
- Transfer barley to a pressure cooker and add a handful of grated cheddar cheese. Cover with water. The water level should be a millimeter above the surface of barley.
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles and set aside.
- Add pressure cooked barley to a mixing bowl.
- Add curd and sesame seed paste.
- Add salt to your taste along with a splash of water. Use your hand and mix everything well. Do not use a whisk or a spoon to mix.
- Divide and transfer to serving bowls.
- Sprinkle some caramelized onions on top.
- Add sesame oil to a pan on medium heat. Splutter for a minute some mustard seeds, chana dal (split chickpea), urad dal (black gram), dried red chilli, asafoetida and curry leaves. Remove from heat and sprinkle over the contents of your serving bowl.
Thayir Sadham – Inspired By Curd Rice, Elevated By Barley, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.