Our Sunday roast recipe has the potential to be the easiest and tastiest of all the roasts you would have ever eaten. As it hardly takes an hour to make, this roast can be enjoyed on any busy day of the week. If you can’t find an hour to cook a healthy meal each day, you must improve your capability to manage time.
This Sunday roast recipe of ours uses a whole chicken with skin. The chicken is mildly seasoned and roasted atop a bed of sweet potatoes, shallots and guava. You must note that we are not going to crisp up the chicken skin in this recipe. Instead we want to make the bird moist and juicy inside out. Our Sunday roast recipe will yield 4 servings, with 923 kilocalories in each. You will need the ingredients listed below to follow this Sunday roast recipe.
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|For Dry Rub|
|Black pepper powder||2 tablespoon|
|For Salt Water|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1/2 tablespoon|
|Sweet potatoes||200 grams|
|Apple cider vinegar||50 ml|
|Whole chicken with skin||1.3 kg|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Consuming sweet potatoes with chicken makes you enjoy the maximum benefits of beta carotene.
- B Vitamins present in chicken prevent cataract and skin disorders.
- Iron in shallots contribute to the proper functioning of red blood cells.
- Guava is high on roughage and a rich source of vitamins and minerals.
Video Walk Through – Sunday Roast Recipe – Roast Chicken and Vegetables – Pot Roast Chicken
Instructions – Sunday Roast Recipe – Roast Chicken and Vegetables – Pot Roast Chicken
Make Dry Rub
- Take a dry mixing bowl.
- Add black pepper powder, paprika and salt. Mix well and set aside.
Make Salt Water
- Set a pot on high heat.
- Add 2 litres of water and bring it to a rolling boil.
- Add 80 grams of salt and dissolve it.
- Remove from heat and use it right away.
- Set a colander over a large bowl.
- Place the chicken in the colander.
- Pour the salted boiling water over the chicken.
- Remove the chicken from the water immediately and pat it dry with a clean kitchen towel. Ensure that the cavity is dry as well.
- Once the chicken is dry, sprinkle the dry rub all over the chicken. Do not spare the cavity.
- Set the chicken aside for 15 minutes.
- Set a pot on medium heat.
- Add butter and extra virgin olive oil. Mix well and allow the butter to melt.
- Place the whole bird breast side down on the hot butter and oil mixture. Sear for 2 minutes.
- 2 minutes later, flip the chicken and sear for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
Roast Chicken & Vegetables
- To the same pot add cubed sweet potatoes, whole shallots and diced guava. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add apple cider vinegar. Mix for 2 minutes.
- Add the seared chicken on top of the vegetables.
- Cover the pot with aluminium foil and seal it tightly using a lid.
- Remove the pot from direct heat and place it on top of a skillet. Reduce the heat to low and roast for 45 to 50 minutes.
- 45 minutes later, remove the bird from the pot and transfer it to a serving tray. Cover the bird with aluminium foil and allow it to rest for 15 minutes.
- Now get back to the pot and raise the heat to medium. Saute for 5 to 10 minutes until most of the moisture is reduced.
You won’t need a knife to carve this Sunday roast. The bird will be so moist and tender, you can pull it apart with your bare hands. Anyway, go for a knife if you must act civilized. Enjoy your portion of roast chicken with a healthy serving of vegetables.
Sunday Roast Recipe – Roast Chicken and Vegetables, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.