The best part about eating healthy and being fit is that the scorching summers don’t annoy us anymore. The summer of 2016 is widely considered as one of the hottest the subcontinent has experienced in a long time but it does not seem to irk us in anyway. We are living through it in comfort without an air conditioning unit and life seems far better than the previous summers. Now people of Madras or Delhi might say, Come hither and flaunt. Sure, we are ready only if they could fly us in along with an unconditional “Work From Where Ever You Are” pass from our respective honchos.
If any of you have made it a point to eat healthy but still wrestling your way through summer with beads of sweat dripping through your curves, coupled with the dust annoying the crap out of you. Here is one recipe that will fit right into your balanced diet, the summer salad of bulgur wheat.
Our summer salad recipe will yield 3 servings, with 460 kilocalories in each. To follow our recipe, you will need the ingredients listed below.
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|To Prep Bulgur Wheat|
|Bulgur wheat (Dalia)||125 grams|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||1 tablespoon|
|Garlic powder||20 grams|
|White pepper powder||1 teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||1 tablespoon|
|Paprika powder||1 teaspoon|
|Dried fenugreek leaves||1 tablespoon|
|Toasted cashew nuts||30 grams|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
Instructions – Summer Salad – Bulgur Wheat Salad
Prep Bulgur Wheat
- Set a pan on medium heat and toast bulgur wheat for a minute or two. Once toasted remove from pan and set aside.
- Set a pot on medium heat. Add water and bring to a rolling boil.
- Add extra virgin olive oil.
- Add toasted bulgur wheat and cook till al dente. This should take about 5 to 7 minutes depending on your heat source.
- Once the bulgur wheat is al dente, drain the liquid through a colander and drink it. Move the bulgur wheat to a bowl, fluff with a spoon and bring it to room temperature.
Make Summer Salad
- Add yogurt to a large mixing bowl and whisk it to a smooth consistency.
- Add lemon juice, asafoetida, garlic powder, white pepper powder, paprika powder, coriander powder, dried fenugreek leaves, finely chopped green chillies and salt to your taste. Mix well.
- Add chopped onion, chopped tomato, chopped cucumber and prepped bulgur wheat to the yogurt. Mix and combine everything well.
- Transfer the summer salad to a serving bowl and top it with toasted cashew nuts.
Summer Salad Of Bulgur Wheat, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.