Our steamed caked recipe is inspired by the Chinese idea of making a cake.We enjoyed a slice of steamed cake at Tim Ho Wan, the world’s cheapest Michelin Star restaurant at Sham Shui Po, Hong Kong. Here you can order five different dishes for less than 100 Hong Kong Dollars. The next time you are in this special administrative region of China, add Tim Ho Wan to your itinerary. You won’t regret it.
Our steamed cake recipe is made with whole wheat flour, molasses and honey. If you don’t find molasses, replace it with the same amount of honey. Unfortunately honey cannot substitute the unique flavour that molasses adds to the cake. Maintaining a balance in terms of flavours is very important, hence do not smother the cake with molasses and honey. This steamed cake recipe makes a light and fluffy steamed cake, which is wholesome and nutritious.
This healthy steamed cake recipe yields 8 slices, with each slice containing 158 kilo calories. This is an all day food and is a meal on its own. To make our steamed caked recipe, you will need the following ingredients,
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|Whole wheat flour||200 grams|
|Natural vanilla extract||1 teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1/2 teaspoon|
|Toasted sesame seeds||10 grams|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Omega 3 fats in whole wheat reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease. Whole wheat also helps you fight common metabolic syndromes.
- Molasses is a good source of iron for menstruating women.
- Flavanoid, an antioxidant in honey reduces the risk of some cancers and heart diseases.
- Arginine, an amino acid in raisins is used to treat erectile dysfunction.
Video Walk Through : Steamed Cake Recipe – Honey & Molasses Cake – Whole Wheat Cake
Instructions – Steamed Cake Recipe – Honey & Molasses Cake – Whole Wheat Cake
- Step up your steamer with enough water. If you do not own a steamer, use a heavy bottomed pot with some depth and a tight lid. A pressure cooker comes in handy to make this steamed cake recipe. Fill the vessel with some water, set up a double boiler inside and mount the cake tin on top. Close the lid and steam away.
Prep Sesame Seeds
- Set a pan on medium heat.
- Add sesame seeds. Toast for a minute or two and set aside to cool down. Pay close attention so that the seeds are not burnt.
Make Cake Batter
- To a bowl, add whole wheat flour.
- Add one whole egg, a teaspoon of natural vanilla extract and raisins.
- Add enough milk to make a very thick batter. Kindly watch our YouTube video walk through above to understand the consistency
- Add molasses and honey. Whisk briskly until all the ingredients are combined. The batter should be thick and lump free.
- Add half a teaspoon each of baking powder and baking soda.Whisk gently for 10 seconds to ensure that the baking powder and soda are fully combined with the batter. Do not over work the batter as it will leave you with a very dense cake.
Steam The Cake
- Quickly pour the batter into a greased cake tin lined with parchment paper. Spread the batter evenly.Do not rest the batter as the baking powder and soda will lose their character.
- Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds on top.
- Transfer the cake tin into the pre-steamed steamer or your self assembled steaming setup. In our case, we used a pressure cooker.
- Steam for 30 minutes.
- 30 minutes later, open the steamer and probe with a tooth pick. Should it come out clean, remove from the steamer and rest the cake on a cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve.
Serve the steamed cake hot or at room temperature. You can also serve it with a teaspoon of honey or maple syrup.
Steamed Cake Recipe – Honey & Molasses Cake – Whole Wheat Cake – Honey & Whole Wheat, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.