Omapodi, colloquially called as ompodi is a sev variant popular in Tamizh Nadu. In Tamizh ‘Oma’ refers to Omam (carom seeds) and ‘Podi’ means ‘Bits’. Sev is a chickpea based, noodle-like, crunchy, deep fried snack.
Our sev recipe as usual de-junks a traditional junk food without losing any love. Our baked sev recipe will yield 2 servings, with 129 kilocalories in each. To make our baked sev recipe, you will need the following ingredients,
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|Chickpea flour (besan)||50 grams|
|Carmon seeds (Ajwain)||1/4 teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Red chilli powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||10 ml|
|Sunflower oil||1/2 tablespoon|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Carom seeds contain an essential oil called thymol. Thymol has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
- Chickpeas are a good source of folate. Folate rich food, when consumed during pregnancy could prevent defects related to brain and spinal cord.
Video Walk Through : Sev Recipe – Baked Omapodi
Instructions : Sev Recipe – Baked Omapodi
- Add chickpea flour and carom seeds to a skillet on medium heat. Dry roast them for a minute to release the flavours.
- Transfer the dry roasted stuff to a mixing bowl.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, asafoetida, sunflower oil, lemon juice and salt to taste. Mix everything well.
- Heat about 20 ml of water to 50ºC (120ºF). Add it to the flour and knead for 4 to 5 minutes and form a non sticky dough ball. Water required may increase or decrease by a few millilitres depending on your climatic conditions. Add water gradually to the flour to get the consistency right.
- Cover and rest the dough for 30 minutes.
- 30 minutes later, use your hand and shape the dough into a cylinder. Stuff the dough into a noodle or chakli press with a fine sieve.
- Grease a baking tray and swirl the dough through the press. Watch our YouTube video above to understand better.
- Transfer the baking tray to an oven preheated to 225ºC (437ºF) for 5 to 7 minutes. Each oven is different, hence keep a close watch to prevent omapodi from charring.
- Once the omapodi is browned mildly, remove it from the oven and rest for 15 minutes.
- Crush omapodi with your hands and use as you wish.
Omapodi can be snacked as is or used in a wide range of recipes. Do frequent our blog or YouTube channel for updates.
Sev Recipe – Baked Omapodi, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.