Of several things Madras is famous for, the humble ‘hotel sambar’ tops the chart. Over the years it has become a noteworthy icon of popular culture and it is one of the best variants one could savor.
To make great tasting sambar, you need a great sambar powder. Our sambar powder recipe will easily better any sambar masala you have used to this date. A great sambar powder should have the right amount of earthy aroma, heat, bitterness and creamy texture. Coriander seeds provide the aroma. Black peppercorns and dried red chillies bring in two variants of heat. Fenugreek seeds inject a pleasant bitterness and the split chickpeas bind all these flavors together.
We consciously excluded turmeric from our sambar powder recipe to expand its versatility . You could use it in any curry base or stir fry that calls for an earthy flavor, especially that of coriander’s.
Our easy sambar powder recipe yields about five and a half tablespoons of sambar powder, with 28 kilo calories in each. You would need the following ingredients to make this sambar power recipe,
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|Coriander seeds||20 grams|
|Split chickpea (Chana dal)||20 grams|
|Black peppercorn||5 grams|
|Fenugreek seeds||2 grams|
|Dried red chillies||5|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Coriander seeds are a rich source of vitamin C. Antioxidants in coriander seeds promote healthy functioning of the liver and also aid bowel movement.
- Fenugreek seeds lower ‘low density lipoprotein (LDL)‘, most popularly known as the bad cholesterol.
- A soluble fiber called galactomannan present in fenugreek seeds slows down the rate of sugar absorption in blood. Fenugreek seeds contain amino acids that induce the production of insulin.
- Black pepper is a carminative that reduces the production of gas in the intestines.
- Split chickpeas with its low glycemic index is a blessing for the diabetic.
Video Walk Through : Sambar Powder Recipe For Hotel Style Sambar – Curry Powder
Instructions – Sambar Powder Recipe For Hotel Style Sambar – Curry Powder
- Set a pan on medium heat-low.
- Add coriander seeds, black peppercorns, dried red chillies, split chickpeas and fenugreek seeds. Toast them for 2 to 3 minutes and release the flavours. Pay close attention so that the spices aren’t burnt. for a minute or two on medium-low heat.
- Set aside and allow the toasted spices to cool down.
- Transfer the toasted spices to a grinder and grind into a fine powder.
- Store the sambar powder in an air tight container.
There are plenty of recipes you can assemble with our sambar powder recipe. We will publish many of them in days to come.
Sambar Powder Recipe, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.