Rogan josh is an Indian red meat curry that has its origins in Kashmir. Goat, lamb or mutton are the most commonly used meats in rogan josh recipe. We chose goat as it is healthier than lamb or mutton. That doesn’t mean we don’t cook with the latter. We cook with every natural produce and enjoy them in moderation. Hind leg of goat is what we used, you may use the same or any bony cut of your choice, like the ribs or shoulder. Should you not like goat at all like many food experts around us, feel free to use lamb or mutton.
Four elements are very essential for a good rogan josh recipe. While maintaining a perfect balance between ginger and fennel powder is essential, the quality of yogurt and kashmiri red chillies is equally important. Go easy on the ginger powder as excess to the tune of even half a teaspoon will ruin the curry.
Our rogan josh recipe will yield 4 servings, with 306 kilocalories in each. To follow our rogan josh recipe, you will need the ingredients listed below.
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|For Red Chilli Paste|
|Dried Kashmiri Red Chillies||5-10|
|Everything Else For Curry|
|Sunflower oil||1 tablespoon|
|Green cardamom||4 pods|
|Cumin seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Goat hind leg||600 grams|
|Red chilli paste||1 tablespoon|
|Ginger powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Fennel powder||1 teaspoon|
|Red chilli powder||1/2 tablespoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Curd or Yogurt||200 grams|
|Hot water or chicken stock||2 litres|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Goat meat is a healthy red meat which is lower in calories, saturated fat and bad cholesterol.
Video Walk Through – Rogan Josh Recipe – Goat Rogan Josh – Mutton Rogan Josh
Instructions – Rogan Josh Recipe – Goat Rogan Josh – Mutton Rogan Josh
Make Red Chilli Paste
- Set a pan on medium heat.
- Add dried kashmiri red chillies and toast them for a minute or two.
- Transfer the toasted chillies to a bowl. Add water and soak them for an hour.
- An hour later, drain the water and transfer the soaked chillies to a blender. Add a splash of water and blitz into a smooth paste.
You would use a tablespoon of this red chilli paste to make rogan josh.
Make Rogan Josh
- Set a pot or sauce pan on medium heat.
- Add butter and sunflower oil.
- Once the butter and oil mixture heats up, add cinnamon stick, black cardamom, green cardamon, cloves, cumin seeds and asafoetida. Saute for a minute.
- Add goat meat, saute and sear for 5 minutes. We used the hind leg of goat, you may use the same or any bony cut of your choice. Should you not like goat, feel free to use lamb or mutton.
- Add red chilli paste, ginger powder, fennel powder, turmeric powder and salt to taste. Mix well and cook for 10 minutes. Your curry will be ruined if you accidentally use ginger powder in excess. Keep a close watch.
- Add yogurt. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add kashmiri red chilli powder and mix it in.
- Add hot water or chicken stock and cover the contents of the pot by an inch. Mix well and simmer for 5 minutes. Find our recipe for homemade chicken stock here or click on the respective hyperlink.
- Cover the pot with a tight lid, reduce the heat to low and cook for 2 hours. An hour and a half later, you may open the lid to check on the water. Add a little hot water if required, mix well and complete the 2 hour cook time.
- Two hours later, remove from heat and rest the curry for 10 minutes before serving with rice, millet or bread.
Rogan Josh Recipe – Goat Rogan Josh – Mutton Rogan Josh, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.