Roasting a duck is no big deal, but a perfect roast needs some experience. You should have failed at least once in the past while getting acquainted to the new bird and your oven’s ability to cook it. A perfect roast duck is the consequence of not repeating a mistake twice.
Unlike chicken, duck’s skin is quite thick and fat laden. The skin has to be seasoned appropriately to attain a perfect texture. Else it is going to be tough and unpleasantly chewy once roasted. A bad skin will affect the quality of the meat underneath as well. Chewing through a poorly roasted duck is a pain.
Besides working with the skin, you need to pay close attention to the cooking temperature of the oven. For the first few times, be around to monitor the roast or at least until you become the master of your roast. Our roast duck recipe will yield 4 servings, with 1092 kilocalories in each. To follow our recipe, you will need the ingredients listed below.
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|For Glaze (Marinade)|
|Soy sauce (Shoyu)||30 ml|
|Ginger powder||1 teaspoon|
|To Prep Skin|
|Natural white vinegar||100 ml|
Video Walk Through – Roast Duck – Chinese Roast Duck – Crispy Roast Duck – How To Roast a Duck
Instructions – Roast Duck – Chinese Roast Duck – Crispy Roast Duck – How To Roast a Duck –
- Set a pot on high heat.
- Add two to two and a half litres of water.
- To the water add sugar and natural white vinegar. Mix well and combine everything.
- Close the pot with a lid and bring to a rolling boil.
- Hold the duck by it’s neck atop the boiling pot and give it a quick bath. Pour 15 ladlesful of boiling water all over the skin. This technique will dry the duck’s skin.
- Once the duck is thoroughly bathed, transfer it to a roasting rack and dry it gently with a clean kitchen towel.
- Rub one to two tablespoons of salt all over the duck.
- Once salted, refrigerate the duck uncovered for 2 days.
Two Days Later
- Make a glaze using honey, soy sauce and ginger powder. Make sure to use a good quality Tamari or Shoyu. We used the latter.
- Remove the duck from the refrigerator, rub off the excess salt. Smear the glaze all over the duck including the cavity.
- Transfer the duck back to the refrigerator and leave it uncovered for 2 more days.
Four Days Later
- A total of 4 days later, remove the duck from the refrigerator. Leave it on your kitchen counter for an hour or two and bring it to room temperature.
Roast The Duck
Roasting Instructions – Cook every 500 grams of duck for 20 minutes at 200°C (392°F). Our duck weighed 1 kilogram, hence we roasted it for 40 minutes. If your bird were to weigh 1.5 kilograms, you will roast it for an hour. Anyway, go with multiples of 20 for every 500 grams. Once roasted, use a food probe to check the internal temperature of the meat. A perfect roast will be between 73°C to 82°C (165°F to 180°F).
- Once at room temperature, transfer the duck to an oven preheated to its maximum temperature. Breast side up, roasting rack and all that.
- Once the duck is in the oven, immediately lower the oven’s temperature to 200°C (392°F) and roast for 40 minutes.
- 40 minutes later, remove the duck from the oven and allow it to rest for 30 minutes before carving it.
Important Tip – Collect the rendered fat in a sterilized jar and refrigerate. This is a great substitute for butter and cooking oil. You can do a lot of wonderful things with it. We will show you a few recipes in the days to follow.
Roast Duck – How To Roast a Duck, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.