“Green shalt be the green curry” – hissingcooker.com
Our prawn curry is inspired by the Khmer ‘Amok‘ and Thai ‘Kaeng Khiao Wan‘. While on vacation, we love both these curries, but we do not make them in our kitchen. The shrimp paste and fish sauce used in these curries are way too processed for our liking. Everyday consumption of processed food will jeopardise our metabolism. Thereby hampering our healthy way of life.
Our prawn curry is a healthier alternative and is made with some of the ingredients that are used in the traditional southeast asian green curries. Our green curry recipe will yield two servings, with 628 kilocalories in each. To make our prawn curry you will require the following ingredients,
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|For Curry Paste|
|Basil leaves||A handful|
|Coriander leaves||A handful|
|Ginger garlic paste||2 tablespoon|
|Palm jaggery||30 grams|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 tablespoon|
|Coriander powder||1 tablespoon|
|Cumin powder||1 teaspoon|
|Pepper powder||1 teaspoon|
|Tender coconut water||1 coconut|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Basil has volatile oils that offer relief from inflammatory health problems like rheumatoid arthritis or inflammatory bowel conditions.
- The essential oils present in coriander aid digestion and improve liver functions.
- The fatty acids in coconut aid fat loss and brain function.
- Coconut water is a natural isotonic drink that has electrolytes such as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, sodium and potassium in their natural form.
- Tamarind has been used to treat stomach ailments and digestive disorders across many centuries.
- Palm jaggery is a better alternative to regular sugar and is rich in iron and calcium.
- Prawns are a good source of heart friendly Omega 3 fatty acids.
Video Walk Through : Green Curry Recipe – Prawn Curry
Instructions – Green Curry Recipe – Prawn Curry
Make Curry Paste
- Add basil leaves, coriander leaves, green chillies, coconut, tomato, shallots, ginger garlic paste, tamarind and palm jaggery to a blender.
- Add a splash of water and blitz into a smooth paste.
- Set a sauce pan or pot on medium heat.
- Add extra virgin olive oil.
- Before the oil could smoke, add the freshly made curry paste. Allow it to caramelize on medium heat for a minute.
- Add coriander powder, cumin powder, pepper powder and salt to your taste. Mix everything thoroughly and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tender coconut water. Mix and bring to a boil in 10 minutes.
- Add freshly peeled prawns and lower the heat to medium-low. Cook for a minute or two.
- Turn off the heat and rest the curry for 10 minutes before serving.
Serve our prawn curry with millet, brown rice or jasmine rice. It tastes great as a soup as well.
Green Curry Recipe – Prawn Curry, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.