We make a lot of curries. Each time we make a fantastic curry, we make a simple stir fry of rice or millet. This way we get to eat something new and at the same time introduce you to a new recipe. Otherwise, pairing curries with the same old boiled rice or millet becomes boring. India being the spice capital, offers us a wide range of condiments to play with. In the past we showed you recipes such as turmeric rice, hara dhaniya pulao and the likes. This pepper rice is another valuable addition to our repository of pilafs and stir fried staples.
Making this pepper rice hardly takes any effort and it tastes great on its own. You can enjoy it as is or with any curry of your choice. Our pepper rice recipe will yield 2 servings, with 278 kilocalories in each. To follow our pepper rice recipe, you will need the ingredients listed below,
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|To Pressure Cook|
|Brown rice||100 grams|
|To Stir Fry|
|Ground black pepper||1 teaspoon|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Black pepper is a carminitive, a property that stimulates hydrochloric acid and prevents the formation of intestinal gas.
Video Walk Through – Pepper Rice – Milagu Sadam – Brown Rice Recipe – Stir Fried Rice Recipe
Instructions – Pepper Rice – Milagu Sadam – Brown Rice Recipe – Stir Fried Rice Recipe
- Wash and sort brown rice thoroughly.
- Transfer brown rice to a pressure cooker.
- Cover brown rice with water. The level of water should be a millimetre above the surface of rice.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles and allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and set aside to cool down.
Grind Black Peppercorns
- Set a pan on medium heat.
- Add black peppercorns and toast for a minute or two. Pay close attention so that you don’t burn them.
- Transfer toasted black peppercorns to a grinder.
- Grind to a semi coarse powder. You would need about a teaspoon of pepper powder to stir fry.
Stir Fry Rice
- Set a sauce pan or skillet on medium heat.
- Add butter and allow it to melt.
- Add asafoetida to the melting butter.
- Add sliced shallots and salt. Saute the shallots and sweat them thoroughly for 5 minutes.
- Add freshly ground black pepper and mix for a minute.
- Add pressure cooked brown rice. Mix gently without breaking the grains for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and serve hot.
Pepper Rice – Milagu Sadam – Brown Rice Recipe – Stir Fried Rice Recipe, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.