This is our second pearl barley risotto. The first one was made with a peanut butter-barbecue curry base. The onus was on us to show a difference without compromising on the distinction. This pearl barley risotto may appear simple, yet it is extremely warm and comforting. Cumin powder is the main spicing agent in this recipe. Feel free to adjust it to your liking.
Our pearl barley risotto will yield 4 servings, with 392 kilocalories in each. To make pearl barley risotto, you will need following ingredients,
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|To Pressure Cook|
|Pearl Barley||150 grams|
|Water to pressure cook||700-800ml|
|To Make Barley Risotto|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 tablespoon|
|Ginger garlic paste||2 tablespoon|
|Mustard seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Black stone flower (Kalpasi)||1|
|Dry roasted peanuts||30 grams|
|Turmeric powder||A pinch|
|Cumin powder||1 tablespoon|
|Pepper powder||1.5 teaspoon|
|Lemon Juice||1 tablespoon|
Click on the nutritional table below to zoom
- Barley’s fiber is rich in beta glucan. Beta gulcan lowers cholesterol levels by binding with bile acids and removes them from body via faeces.
- Potatoes are rich in vitamin B6 which promote cardiovascular health.
- Spinach is rich in antioxidant nutrients that lower the risk of numerous health problems related to oxidative stress.
Video Walk Through – Pearl Barley Risotto – Barley Curried With Spinach & Potato
Instructions – Pearl Barley Risotto – Barley Curried With Spinach & Potato
Prep Pearl Barley
- Dry roast pearl barley on medium heat for 2 minutes and set aside to cool.
- Transfer dry roasted pearl barley to a bowl.
- Soak pearl barley in water for 2 hours.
- 2 hours later, discard the water. Wash and sort pearl barley thoroughly.
Cook Pearl Barley & Potato
- Transfer the soaked pearl barley to a pressure cooker.
- Add chopped potato.
- Cover with water. The water level should be a millimeter or two above the surface of the solids.
- Pressure cook on medium heat for 3 whistles and allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Wash the spinach leaves thoroughly and set aside.
- Set a sauce pan or pot on medium heat.
- Add extra virgin olive oil.
- Add mustard seeds, black stone flower, bay leaf, green chillies, ginger garlic paste, chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder and salt to your taste. Mix well and sweat the onions on medium heat for 5 minutes. Stone flower is called Kalpasi in Tamizh and Patthar Ke Phool or Dagad Phool in Hindi. It is a fungus that grows on river rocks.
- 5 minutes later, add spinach and wilt it on medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add cumin powder, black pepper powder, dry roasted peanuts, pressure cooked pearl barley-potato and a handful of chopped mozzarella cheese. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice. Mix it in and turn off heat in 2 minutes.
Serve our curried pearl barley risotto hot and enjoy as is.
Pearl Barley Risotto – Barley Curried With Spinach & Potato , another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.