We both love a good pie. This peanut pie recipe is the translation of our enthusiasm. When a pecan can have a pie, so should a peanut. Our peanut pie is nutritious, wholesome and delicious to the last morsel.
Through this recipe, we will show you the best and possibly the easiest way to make and build a fantastic pie from scratch. Exercise little patience and follow the instructions as is to get a perfectly soft and crumbly crust. Our peanut pie is made with whole wheat flour and yields 8 slices. Each slice contains 265 kilocalories. You will need the following ingredients to make this peanut pie,
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|For Pie Crust|
|Whole Wheat Flour||160 grams|
|Cold butter||60 grams|
|Ice cold water||3 tablespoon|
|Apple cider vinegar||1 tablespoon|
|Whole Wheat Flour||1/2 tablespoon|
|Palm jaggery||50 grams|
|Sunflower oil||1/2 tablespoon|
|Vanilla extract||1 teaspoon|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Peanuts contain good amounts of oleic acid. Oleic acid is a ‘mono-unsaturated fatty acid (MUFA)’ that reduces bad cholesterol (LDL) levels in blood.
- Whole wheat flour is a good source of magnesium. Magnesium acts as a co-factor for nearly 300 enzymes and reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Vitamin A, B12 and selenium in eggs help build a strong immune system.
- Molasses contain antioxidants that lower the risk of certain types of cancer. The polyphenols present in molasses aid weight loss by reducing the absorption of calories.
- A starchy fiber called dextrin present in honey helps regulate blood sugar levels.
- Palm jaggery contains 60 times more vitamins and minerals than white sugar. The fiber in palm jaggery is known to offer relief from constipation and indigestion.
Video Walk Through : Peanut Pie
Instructions : Peanut Pie
A good pie crust should be soft and crumbly. Your success with your pie crust lies in two things. One, do not allow gluten to form, never. Two, keep everything cold. We mean the flour, butter, water. The butter should not melt. Instead it should be crushed into tiny pieces and forced into the flour. Don’t fret, none of this is difficult. Just follow our instructions as is or best, watch our YouTube video above.
Make Pie Crust
- Take 160 grams of whole wheat flour in a mixing bowl.
- Quickly chop 60 grams of refrigerated butter into small cubes and throw them into the whole wheat flour. Refrigerate for 1 hour. This will chill the flour and the butter.
- After an hour, transfer the whole wheat flour and butter to a blender or a food processor. We used a blender as it is more commonly used by everyone.
- Add one tablespoon of chilled apple cider vinegar and a pinch of salt. Pulse on and off for a minute.
- Add two tablespoons of ice cold water and pulse for one more minute.
- Add one final tablespoon of ice cold water and pulse for 30 seconds. That’s it. By now, you would have a perfect crumb in the blender.
- Transfer the crumb to a work surface.
- Dip your hands in ice cold water. Quickly bring the crumbs together and form a dough disk. Do not knead and develop gluten.
- Wrap the dough disk tightly in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Grease a 7 inch pie tin with any cooking oil. We used sunflower.
- After 30 minutes, dip your hands in cold water again.
- Dust your work surface with whole wheat flour. Unwrap the dough disk and roll it into a sheet. It may break and crack at the edges here and there. Just be patient and continue to roll.
- Once the pastry is wide enough to fit your pie tin, take it off the work surface and carefully slide it onto the pie tin.
- Trim the edges and excess using your hand or a sharp knife.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes, while you work on the filling for the peanut pie.
NOTE: If you do not have a blender or a food processor, you can form the crumb using your hands. Just keep your hands cold and do not knead. Add ice cold water little by little,, mix and form the crumb. Lump them together before wrapping them with cling film.
- To a mixing bowl add two whole eggs.
- Add palm jaggery, molasses, honey, milk, natural vanilla extract, sunflower oil, whole wheat flour and a pinch of salt. Whisk briskly for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add dry roasted peanuts (toasted and unsalted) and mix well.
- Set aside, while you fetch the pastry from the refrigerator.
Assemble the Peanut Pie
- Pour the filling over the pastry in the pie tin.
- Transfer the pie tin to an oven preheated to 200ºC (392ºF). Bake for 25 minutes or until a tooth pick probed in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove it from the oven and rest on a wire rack for 1 hour for the pie to settle.
- Slice and serve the peanut pie.
Enjoy your peanut pie as is at room temperature. Your pie, your choice.
Peanut Pie – A Perfect, 100% Whole Wheat Pie From Scratch, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.