We will not call the Indian summer horrible. The extreme summer heat is like spilt milk and we will not cry over it. Every action has a consequence and this is us paying dearly for the idiocy we still call as development. The hopeful side of summer in the subcontinent are the fruits. Plantains and bananas are available all through the year but the two that complete the trinity arrive only when mercury scales new heights. Jack and mangoes, absolutely delicious. Besides these, there are many others including the fantastic palm fruit, some call it an ice apple. In Tamizh we call it Nungu.
Using palm fruit we will show you an easy way to make a soothing cooler. Follow one simple rule and you will love this recipe. Do not sweeten the milk with an overdose of palm jaggery or any other sugar. 30 to 40 grams of palm jaggery is good enough as lactose in milk will contribute as we reduce the milk over low heat. Our recipe will yield 4 servings, with 220 kilocalories in each. To follow our palm fruit recipe, you will need the ingredients listed below,
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|To Prep Milk|
|Palm Jaggery||40 grams|
|Ginger powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Ice Apple (Nungu)||400 grams|
|Pure rose water||1.5 tablespoon|
|Basil seeds (Sabja)||4 tablespoon|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
Instructions – Palm Fruit Cooler – Ice Apple Cooler – Nungu Recipe – Summer Drink Recipes –
- Add milk to a pot.
- Turn on the heat and set it to medium low.
- Add palm jaggery and ginger powder. Palm jaggery can be substituted with cane/coconut jaggery or brown sugar. Stir the milk continuously and reduce for 20 minutes.
- 20 minutes later, turn off the heat and filter the milk using a fine coffee colander. Allow the milk to cool down to room temperature.
Prep Palm Fruit (Ice Apple)
- Peel the palm fruit gently without losing much flesh.
- Chop the peeled fruit into tiny bite size chunks.
Assemble the Cooler
- Once the reduced milk is at room temperature, remove the lactoderm (milk skin) and eat it.
- Add the chopped palm fruit to the milk.
- Add pure rose water and mix well.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours.
- 4 hours later, add basil seeds to chilled glasses.
- Pour the chilled milk over the basil seeds and refrigerate them for 15 minutes. The basil seeds will soak up and expand.
- 15 minutes later, serve.
Palm Fruit Cooler – Ice Apple Cooler, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.