This onion gravy recipe can make any biryani taste great. When you make such a nutritious and flavourful salan, don’t limit its paring only to biryani. We poured this on a wide range of carbohydrate staples and everything tasted great. While making the gravy, make sure to taste it at regular intervals and balance the flavours.
Our onion gravy recipe will yield 6 servings, with 306 kilocalories in each. To follow our onion gravy recipe, you will need the ingredients listed below,
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|To Caramelize Onions|
|Sunflower oil||2 tablespoon|
|For Coconut-Sesame Paste|
|Sesame seeds||30 grams|
|Desiccated coconut||30 grams|
|To Make Curry|
|Coconut oil||1 tablespoon|
|Mustard seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Curry leaves||A sprig|
|Peanut butter||100 grams|
|Coriander powder||1 tablespoon|
|Red chilli powder||1 tablespoon|
|Cumin powder||1 teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Palm jaggery||25 grams|
|Cooked rice water or Water||500 ml|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Onions increase bone density of women of menopausal age.
- The powerful bioflavonoids present in shallots prevent cells from damage caused by free radicals.
- A phytonutrient in peanuts improves blood flow in the brain by 30% and reduces the risk of stroke.
- Phytosterol in sesame seeds reduce cholesterol levels in blood.
- Coconut speeds up metabolism by providing instant energy with fewer calories than other fats.
Video Walk Through – Onion Gravy Recipe – Onion Salan For Biryani
Instructions – Onion Gravy Recipe – Onion Salan For Biryani
- Chop two onions into tiny bits.
- Add 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil and mix well.
- Transfer to a baking tray or an oven safe skillet.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 225ºC (437ºF) for 30 minutes. Each oven is different, hence browning time may vary. Keep a close watch so that the onions don’t get charred. If your oven is preheated for long, it should take about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Add curd to a mixing bowl.
- Add little water.
- Using a wire whisk, whisk away to form a smooth consistency.
- Set aside.
Prep Coconut-Sesame Paste
- Add black sesame seeds and desiccated coconut to a pan on medium heat. Use fresh coconut and white sesame seeds only if you do not find desiccated coconut and black sesame seeds.
- Dry roast them briefly and brown them. Set aside to cool.
- Once the dry roasted stuff reaches room temperature, transfer to a blender.
- Add shallots, garlic, ginger, very little water and blitz into a smooth paste.
- Set aside.
Make Onion Gravy
- Add coconut oil to a sauce pan or pot on medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves. Splutter for a minute or two.
- Add the coconut-sesame paste and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder and salt to taste. Mix the spices well and fry for a minute. Add very little water to prevent the spices from burning.
- Add homemade peanut butter and allow it to melt into the other ingredients in the pan. It should take about a minute or two.
- Add a pint of cooked rice broth or plain water. Adding cooked rice water improves the texture and fragrance of the gravy. Making rice broth is simple. Just boil some rice in water as per the package instructions. Drain the water and use it in curries.
- Add palm jaggery and caramelized onions.
- Bring in the smoothly whisked curd. Mix everything well for 2 minutes.
- Cover and simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- 20 minutes later, remove the gravy from the heat source and rest it for 15 to 30 minutes before serving.
Our onion gravy recipe is a perfect pair for any biryani, rice, millet or flat bread.
Following are some of our fantastic flat bread recipes
Onion Gravy Recipe – Onion Salan For Biryani, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.