Though making naan bread is fairly simple, not many know a fool proof way to make naan bread soft, light and fluffy. Hardly a handful of restaurants get it right and even the ones that have a grip, don’t serve whole wheat naan bread. Anyway, we hope your search on how to make naan bread with whole wheat flour ends right here.
Personally we are not fond of calling Naan as Naan bread, but SEO is mean and there is no way around it. Our recipe of naan bread will yield two naan bread, with each supplying 347 kilo calories. To make this healthy recipe of naan bread our way, you will need the following ingredients,
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|Milk @ 105-110 ºF||about 30 ml|
|Active dry yeast||14 grams|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1/2 tablespoon|
|Whole wheat flour||50 grams|
|For The Dough|
|Whole wheat flour||50 grams|
|Nigella seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Milk @ 105-110 ºF||15-30 ml|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 teaspoon|
|To Knead & Dust|
|Whole wheat flour||15 grams|
|Wheat Bran||15 grams|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Whole wheat improves gastro-intestinal health in women. A phytonutrient in wheat protects you from coronary diseases.
- Milk reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases and type 2 diabetes. Calcium and phosphorous aid development and maintenance of bones and teeth.
Video Walk Through : Naan Bread With Whole Wheat Flour – How To Make Naan Bread
Instruction – Naan Bread With Whole Wheat Flour – How To Make Naan Bread
- Take a mixing bowl at room temperature.
- Add about 25 to 30 ml of milk at 105 – 110 ºF or 40.5 – 43.3 ºC. A digital food thermometer is a must have for anybody working with bread. You won’t regret buying one.
- To the milk, add one tablespoon of active dry yeast, half tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and half tablespoon of honey. (Buy yeast that is not more than 15 days old. Older ones may or may not work. Do not compromise on this factor as it decides the quality of your bread.)
- Add 50 grams of whole wheat flour and mix for a minute. Cover and allow it to rest for 20 minutes.
- 20 minutes later, you will have a fluffy sponge.
MAKE DOUGH FOR NAAN
- To the sponge add nigella seeds, a pinch of salt and 50 grams of whole wheat flour. Go easy on the salt, because yeast is like a vampire. It does not like salt or light.
- Add milk gradually and mix it in. The temperature of milk should be around 105 – 110 ºF or 40.5 – 43.3 ºC. We used about 15 to 20 millilitres of milk. You may require a few millilitres more or less depending on your climatic conditions.
- Knead the dough until it is is soft and non-sticky. If required use a few teaspoons of whole wheat flour to aid kneading. Kindly watch the YouTube video walk through above to understand the texture.
- Brush the dough with extra virgin olive oil. Cover and let it rest for 2 – 3 hours.
- 3 hours later, the dough would have doubled in size. Gently knead for 3o seconds.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions and set aside.
FLATTEN THE DOUGH
- Roll each dough portion into a ball using the palm of your hands.
- Dust the balls with some whole wheat flour or wheat bran. Flatten them to a disk with your fingers on a rolling platform or board.
- Use a rolling pin and flatten the dough into a circle.
MAKE NAAN BREAD
- Set a skillet or griddle on medium heat for 5 minutes and grease it with any cooking oil.
- Transfer the flattened dough on to the hot griddle and cook for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Once you see air pockets arising, flip it.
- Once flipped, cook for another minute and take the naan off the heat.
We did not use any oil while cooking on the griddle as there was no need for it. May be you could use a few drops to grease. Not using oil is no big achievement as the essential fatty acids in oil are absolutely necessary to keep the bad cholesterol (Low-density lipoprotein) in check. Usually naan bread is served hot with curries. This naan bread dough can be used to make toasts, pizzas and wraps as well. A few of our naan based recipes are as follows,
WooHoo! Dessert Pizza Recipe of Cocoa & Red Radish using naan, click here.
Stuffed French Toast using naan bread, click here.
Naan Bread, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.