We rarely juice fruits as we prefer eating them whole. They are more nutritious this way. However, on certain occasions, our robust juicer pops out of the cupboard and does what it does best.
The frequency of our leisure travel has increased recently. We spent the last two weeks in Egypt, covering the country by air, water and land. Along the way, we ate a wide range of food, which we would not have known otherwise. We are travellers that eat smart. We mind our portions and try to mix and match nutrition in every meal. At the same time, we cannot deny the fact that not everything we ate was possibly healthy. So after each trip, we do a basic detox, rest our system and flush down the toxins. This does not mean we fast by depriving ourselves of food. We stick to fruits and vegetables for 5 days and ensure that the urine runs colourless.
Apples don’t need our testimony to back their nutritional profile or their natural sweetness. Our mulled apple juice recipe does not use any sugar as the natural sweetness of apples and cinnamon are more than enough to entice the drinker. Our recipe will yield 4 servings of mulled apple juice with 120 kilocalories in each. To follow our recipe, you will need the ingredients listed below.
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|Fresh apple juice||1 litre|
|Saffron||A large pinch|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
Video Walk Through – Mulled Apple Juice – Hot Spiced Apple Juice
Instructions – Mulled Apple Juice – Hot Spiced Apple Juice
- Choose apples of your choice and juice them in juicer or in a mixer grinder. If you were to use a mixer grinder, you have to hang the mashed pulp through a cheese cloth to collect the juice.
Make Mulled Apple Juice
- Set a pot on medium heat.
- Add cinnamon stick and saffron. Toast for a minute.
- Add the freshly pressed apple juice. Mix well and bring to a boil. You don’t need to add any extra sugar as the apple juice is sweet on its own and the cinnamon will balance the flavours.
- Reduce heat to the lowest. Cover the pot and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 10 minutes later, remove from heat. Throw a cinnamon stick into a mug and pour the hot juice over it.
Mulled Apple Juice – another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.