We did not make this meat sauce for spaghetti but for our fantastic fermented pearl barley pancakes. This meat sauce will reach its full potential after a day or two in the refrigerator. If time is by your side, allow it to age. You are guaranteed to lick the bowl clean.
We have used two red meats to make our meat sauce recipe. If your dietary restrictions do not allow pork on your plate, go all beef or vice versa. If you neither eat beef nor pork, go all lamb or goat. If you don’t eat that too, don’t bother making this sauce. It is not for you.
Besides being a sidekick for pancakes and spaghetti, this meat sauce recipe is a meal, all by itself. Our meat sauce recipe will yield 6 servings, with 447 kilocalories in each. Learn how to make meat sauce by following our recipe as is and for that you will need the ingredients listed below,
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|Pork mince||500 grams|
|Beef mince||500 grams|
|Tomato paste||1 tablespoon|
|Balsamic vinegar||2 tablespoon|
|Dried basil||2 tablespoon|
|Coriander powder||1 tablespoon|
|Red chilli powder||1 tablespoon|
|Palm Jaggery||30 grams|
|Apple juice||500 ml|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Beef is a good source of iron, zinc and selenium. It also contains vitamin B6 which is essential for the absorption of amino acids.
- Pork contains good amounts of thiamin which is essential for healthy functioning of the brain.
- Apple juice contains potassium that controls the electrical activity of the heart and manages the acid-base ratio.
- Tomatoes contain folic acid that reduces depression by preventing the formation of homocysteine in the body.
Video Walk Through – Meat Sauce Recipe – How To Make Meat Sauce ?
Instructions – Meat Sauce Recipe – How To Make Meat Sauce ?
Make Tomato Puree
- Add tomatoes to a blender.
- Add one green chilli.
- Blitz into a smooth paste and set aside.
Make Meat Sauce
- Set an oven safe sauce pan or pot on medium heat.
- Add butter and allow it to melt.
- Add cinnamon stick, sliced onions and salt. Saute for 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Add garlic and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Push the onions and garlic to a side in the pot and make some space for the meat. Add beef mince and pork mince. Break them with the ladle and allow them to caramelize for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Once caramelized, mix the meats well and allow them to cook in their own juices for 15 minutes.
- Add ‘all natural tomato paste’, fresh tomato puree, dried or fresh basil leaves, balsamic vinegar, freshly pressed apple juice, palm jaggery, red chilli powder and coriander powder. Mix everything well and simmer for 15 minutes. Find a brand of tomato paste that is free of preservatives and chemicals. Should you not find one like that, leave it out. If palm jaggery is not your thing, feel free to use cane or coconut jaggery. You can also use brown sugar. However, palm jaggery is the healthiest option.
- After 15 minutes of simmering, cover the pot and transfer it to an oven preheated to 225ºC (437ºF). Immediately reduce the temperature of the oven to 150ºC (302ºF) and cook for 90 minutes.
- 90 minutes later, remove the lid from the pot and cook for another 30 minutes in the oven.
- 30 minutes later, remove the pot from the oven. Rest the meat sauce for 10 minutes before serving.
Our meat sauce tastes great as it matures. We enjoyed ours after allowing it to mature in the refrigerator for one day. The left overs of the third day tasted better than the second day.
Meat Sauce Recipe – How To Make Meat Sauce ? Another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.