In Tamizh ‘Mangai’ refers to Green mango and ‘Thokku’ is an adjective that describes a cluster. Anyway, mangai thokku is an easy Tamizh style pickle. This style of pickling relies more on spices and less on oil. Mangai thokku makes up for a very versatile condiment that can flavour a wide variety of comfort food. Try it with our inspiration of the Thayir Sadham (A curd based staple). Recipe will be out tomorrow.
Our recipe of mangai thokku will yield 8 tablespoons, with 44 kilocalories in each. To follow our mango pickle recipe you will need the ingredients listed below,
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|Gingelly oil (sesame oil)||1 tablespoon|
|Urad Dal (Black gram)||1/2 teaspoon|
|Dried fenugreek leaves||1 tablespoon|
|Curry leaves||A Sprig|
|Turmeric root||4 grams|
|Green mango||100 grams|
|Red chilli powder||1 tablespoon|
|Palm jaggery||10 grams|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Mangoes are rich in beta-carotene. Beta-carotene offers protection against prostate cancer.
Video Walk Through : Mangai Thokku – A Versatile Green Mango Pickle Recipe
Instructions : Mangai Thokku – A Versatile Green Mango Pickle Recipe
- To a pan on medium heat add sesame oil. Sesame seed oil is also known as gingelly oil or til oil. For best results,sesame oil is recommended. However, if you could not find it in your part of the world, feel free to use a cooking oil of your choice.
- To the oil, add mustard seeds, urad dal (black gram), asafoetida, slivered turmeric root, slivered ginger, chopped garlic, curry leaves and dried fenugreek leaves. Saute briskly for 2 minutes on medium heat. Should finding fresh turmeric root be a challenge, use half a teaspoon of turmeric powder along with the other spices in step 3.
- Add green mangoes, crushed palm jaggery, red chilli powder and salt to taste. Saute for 10 minutes on medium heat. We do not add water in this recipe. Allow the mangoes to sweat and cook in its own moisture.
- Take it off the heat and use as you see it.
You can use mangai thokku right away or cool it down and refrigerate for later use. It will hold good for at least a week or two. Mangai thokku is a very forgiving condiment that can elevate the taste quotient of any dish that it is paired with. We love it with our thayir sadham (curd based dish) and flat breads. We have also made a succulent kabab out of it and the recipe will be out shortly.
Mangai Thokku – A Versatile Green Mango Pickle Recipe, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.