Khoba roti may appear as a complicated recipe, primarily based on the way it appears. But it is as simple as making any other flat bread. Khoba roti is a thick whole wheat bread widely consumed in Rajasthan. Khoba roti goes well with most meat and vegetarian curries. Spicier the curry, better the pairing. We ate our khoba roti with lal maa(n)s. What you eat it with is your choice. Feel free to browse through our blog & YouTube channel and find a curry of your choice. Our personal preference would either be lal maa(n)s or rogan josh. Recipes for these two curries will be released in the next few days.
Our khoba roti recipe will yield 2 servings, with 529 kilocalories in each. To follow our khoba roti recipe you will need the ingredients listed below,
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|For The Dough|
|Whole wheat flour||200 grams|
|Whole wheat flour||15 grams (dusting)|
|Sunflower oil||2 tablespoons|
|Turmeric powder||A pinch|
|Red chilli powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Carom seeds (Ajwain)||A pinch|
|Water at 70ºC (158ºF)||About 116 ml|
|To Grill Khoba Roti|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Whole wheat offers relief for people with metabolic disorders such as visceral obesity, high triglycerides, low levels of protective HDL cholesterol and high blood pressure.
- Whole wheat regulates blood sugar level and reduces the risk of Type 2 diabetes.
Video Walk Through – Khoba Roti Recipe – A Rajasthani Whole Wheat Bread
Instructions – Khoba Roti Recipe – A Rajasthani Whole Wheat Bread
- Add whole wheat flour to a mixing bowl.
- Add sunflower oil or any cooking oil of your choice.
- Add carom seeds, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt to your taste. Mix everything well using your hands and crumb them together.
- Add hot water gradually and mix it in. The temperature of water should be around 70ºC (158ºF). We used about 116 millilitres of hot water. You may require a few millilitres more or less depending on your climatic conditions.
- Knead briskly for 5 minutes to form a soft, non-sticky dough ball.
- Once the dough reached the desired consistency and texture, cover it with a plate and rest it for an hour.
Flatten The Dough
- An hour later, halve the dough.
- Roll each half into a ball using the palm of your hands.
- Dust the balls with some whole wheat flour and flatten them to a disk with your fingers on a rolling platform or board.
- Use a rolling pin and roll them into a circle while retaining the thickness to 1 or 2 millimetres.
Make Khoba Roti
- Set a skillet or griddle on medium heat for 5 minutes and grease it with any cooking oil.
- Transfer the rolled roti on to the hot griddle and cook for 30 seconds.
- Flip roti after 30 seconds.
- Immediately moisten your thumb and index finger with water and start pinching the roti to form tiny craters all over the surface. Continue to cook this way for 2 minutes. For better understanding watch our YouTube video above.
- 2 minutes later, flip the roti and grease it with melted butter. Continue to cook with the crater side down for 2 minutes.
- 2 minutes later, remove from heat and brush the crater side with melted butter.
Serve immediately with any curry of your choice or wrap khoba roti with a clean kitchen towel and store for a few hours. Wrapping this way allows the roti to remain soft for hours.
Khoba Roti Recipe – A Rajasthani Whole Wheat Bread, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.