TheExtremeOutdoorsMan, a YouTuber suggested we change the background music in our videos and we obliged. It will be “Hookey With Sloane by Bird Creek” for the next few days or until we get bored of it. Now to the recipe, Katakat is a popular Pakistani offal dish we enjoyed at Muhammad Faisal Restaurant in Dubai. The term Katakat is an onomatopoeia and has no meaning. Organs of lamb or beef are usually sautéed and stewed over a gentle flame for long hours with occasional beating and chopping using a barbecue spatula on the griddle itself. The resulting sound from the griddle became the name of the dish.
You can make katakat with any organ of an animal but cook it long and slow for the flavours to blend in. Our recipe will yield 6 servings, with 453 kilocalories in each. To make Katakat you will need the ingredients listed below,
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|For Katakat Masala|
|Coriander seeds||1 tablespoon|
|Cumin seeds||1/2 tablespoon|
|Fennel seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Carom seeds (Ajwain)||1 teaspoon|
|Poppy seeds||1 tablespoon|
|Dried fenugreek leaves||1 tablespoon|
|Black peppercorn||1 teaspoon|
|Dried red chilli||1|
|To Prep Organs|
|Lamb Lungs||350 grams|
|Lamb Kidney||350 grams|
|Lamb Heart||350 grams|
|Leg of Lamb – boneless||500 grams|
|Coriander leaves||30 grams|
|Turmeric powder||1 teaspoon|
|Nutmeg powder||A large pinch|
|Lemon juice||20 ml|
|Hot water||~900 ml|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
Video Walk Through – Katakat – Takatak – Offal Recipe
Instructions – Katakat – Takatak – Offal Recipe
- Pour milk into a large bowl. Add some salt and mix well.
- Add the organs and allow them to soak in the salted milk for an hour. This procedure will remove any bitter blood left in the organs.
- An hour later, drain and discard the milk.
- Remove the silver skin from the organs and chop them into bite size pieces.
Prep Katakat Masala
- Set a pan on medium heat.
- Add coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, carom seeds, poppy seeds, black peppercorns, dried red chilli, dried fenugreek leaves, cinnamon stick, green cardamon, black cardamom and cloves.
- Mildly toast for a minute or two and allow them to cool down.
- Transfer the toasted spices to a grinder and grind into a fine powder.
- Set a heavy bottomed pot on medium heat.
- Add ghee and allow it to melt.
- Add the prepped organs and boneless lamb meat. Saute for ten minutes. Lamb meat is just a filler and optional.
- Add sliced onions, sliced ginger, green chillies, coriander leaves, turmeric powder, nutmeg powder, whole batch of the katakat masala and salt to your taste. Mix well and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and mix well for a couple of minutes.
- Add hot water. Mix well and bring to a simmer.
- After reaching a simmer, seal the pot tightly with a heavy lid and remove it from direct heat. Place a griddle pan directly over the heat source and mount the sealed pot atop the griddle pan. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 2.5 hours.
- 2.5 hours later, serve with any flat bread of your choice.
Katakat – Takatak – Offal, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.