With ‘Biryani Of Nagpur’, we kick start our Indian Biryani Recipe series. One of us has a mentor that lived most of his adult life in Nagpur. He loves his biryanis and we were served the Nagpur variant when we visited him, at his home in Calcutta.
In our inspired recipe, brown basmati replaces the regular white basmati rice. White basmati is commonly used to make biryanis. We also managed to use our years of biryani making and eating experience to turn this into a special dish. Enjoy this chicken biryani with our fantastic onion gravy. Click here for the recipe.
Our Indian biryani recipe will yield 2 servings, with 963 kilocalories in each. To make this Nagpur biryani, you will need the ingredients listed below,
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|Flavourings for Rice|
|Coconut Oil||1/2 tablespoon|
|Caraway seeds (Shahi Jeera)||1 teaspoon|
|Chicken & Marinade|
|Lemon juice||14 ml|
|Brown basmati rice||150 grams|
|Black pepper||1 teaspoon|
|Caraway seeds (Shahi jeera)||1 teaspoon|
|Coriander leaves||A handful|
|Mint leaves||A handful|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Chicken meat contains all the B Vitamins. B Vitamins prevent cataract and skin disorders, boost immunity, improve the nervous system and regulates digestion.
- Curd minimizes high blood pressure and reduces cholesterol levels by preventing the thickening of carotid artery.
- Brown basmati rice contains complex carbohydrates and no cholesterol. Complex carbohydrates provide energy for the brain and central nervous system.
- Brown basmati rice is also a good source of magnesium. Magnesium is essential for metabolizing carbohydrates and proteins.
Video Walk Through : Nagpur Chicken Biryani With Brown Basmati Rice
Instructions : Nagpur Chicken Biryani With Brown Basmati Rice
Prep Chicken : Indian Biryani Recipe
- Wash chicken drumsticks in running water. Pat dry with a clean kitchen towel and set aside.
- To a blender add curd, shallots, green chilli, garlic, ginger and salt to your taste.
- Add a splash of water and blitz into a smooth paste.
- Pour over the chicken and coat well.
- Cover & refrigerate for at least 4 hours for best results.
Prep Rice : Indian Biryani Recipe
Soak brown basmati rice in water for 4 hours. After 4 hours, wash and sort the rice thoroughly.
- Add 2 litres of water to a pot.
- Flavour the water by adding coconut oil, caraway seeds, bay leaf, cloves, green cardamom, black cardamon, cinnamon stick, mace and star anise.
- Cover the pot and bring it to a rolling boil on high heat.
- Uncover the pot and add brown basmati rice.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and cook the rice for 7 to 10 minutes. Ensure that the rice is cooked to 70%. Each grain should be semi-firm and intact.
- After 7 to 10 minutes, drain the rice through a colander and set it aside. Use the cooked rice water to make curries or a substitute for stock. Find our recipes using rice water here.
Make Biryani : Indian Biryani Recipe
- Transfer marinated chicken drumsticks to a heavy bottomed pot and reserve some marinade.
- Add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, mace, black peppercorns, cloves, green cardamom, black cardamom and star anise.
- Add 10 grams of butter.
- Add mint leaves and coriander leaves.
- Gently layer the rice without breaking the grain.
- Pour the reserved chicken marinade on top of the rice.
- Add 10 grams of butter.
- Cover it with a tight lid. If your lid isn’t tight enough, cover the mouth of the pot with aluminium foil and then close it with a lid. Set aside for a while.
- Setup a skillet on high heat. Add some water. While cooking, if the water dries up, add more water.
- Mount the biryani pot on the skillet and reduce the heat to medium. This setup prevents food from sticking to the bottom of the pot. Cook this way for the next 35 to 40 minutes.
- After 35 to 40 minutes, take it off the heat. Rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Serve our Nagpur biryani with any of our fantastic curries.
Indian Biryani Recipe – Biryani Of Nagpur With Brown Basmati Rice, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.