Many say mayonnaise is unhealthy. Is it really? Mayonnaise is nothing but eggs and cooking oil. Both are rich sources of essential nutrients and good fats. So, think again before buying someone’s idea of mayonnaise being unhealthy. Our homemade mayonnaise recipe requires you to invest 10 minutes of physical effort, but the result is rewarding.
Avoid the ‘additive and preservative’ laced store bought mayonnaise and start whisking a fresh batch each time to suit your culinary needs. You can also bottle homemade mayonnaise and refrigerate for up to a week. Our homemade mayonnaise recipe will yield four and a half tablespoons of flavourful mayonnaise, with 105 kilocalories in each. To follow this homemade mayonnaise recipe, you will need the ingredients listed below,
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|Sunflower oil||50 ml|
|Palm jaggery||4 grams|
|Lemon juice||10 ml|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- A nutrient called choline in egg promotes brain development in foetus and newborns.
- Eating eggs in moderation makes our liver produce less cholesterol.
- Sunflower oil has perfect balance of fatty acids. It does not have any saturated fats and as a result it reduces the over all cholesterol content in the body.
- Sunflower oil contains a form of vitamin E called alpha-tocopherol. Alpha-tocopherol besides acting as an antioxidant strengths the immune system and reduces the risk of heart disease.
Video Walk Through : Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe – How To Make Mayonnaise?
Instructions : Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe – How To Make Mayonnaise?
- Separate yolk from an egg and transfer the yolk to a mixing bowl. Break an egg gently and collect the contents on to your fingers. Let the albumen drip through your fingers, leaving the yolk behind.
- Add salt, pepper powder, palm jaggery and lemon juice. Using a wire whisk, whisk and emulsify the yolk for 2 minutes.
- For one egg yolk, we will need 50ml of sunflower oil. Add oil to the emulsified egg mixture in drops and whisk simultaneously. Ensure that each drop is mixed and integrated well.
- Whisk briskly for 10 minutes as you empty 50 ml of sunflower oil in drops. Exercise patience and make sure not to add the whole oil at once. It will be a disaster.
- After 10 minutes of whisking, you will be left with a creamy, flavourful mayonnaise.
Use the homemade mayonnaise right away or store in a sterilized container and refrigerate for later use.
Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe – How To Make Mayonnaise?, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.