We have been making our own bbq sauce at home for many years now. Making this sauce from scratch allows us to keep it wholesome and nutritious. Our homemade bbq sauce recipe can be used in a wide range of other recipes. We are going to update many of those recipes in the days to come.
Our homemade bbq sauce recipe will yield about 720 ml of bbq sauce, with 22 kilocalories per tablespoon and 220 calories per serving. One serving is a ladle worth 150 ml. To follow our homemade bbq sauce recipe, you will need the ingredients listed below.
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|Mustard seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Fennel seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Tomato paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Red bell pepper||1|
|Apple juice||225 ml|
|Apple cider Vinegar||100 ml|
|Palm jaggery||30 grams|
|Red chilli powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Coriander powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried basil||2 Tablespoon|
|Cheddar cheese||50 grams|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Allicin present in shallots prevents platelets from clotting in blood vessels there by reducing the risk of peripheral vascular diseases (PVD), coronary artery disease (CAD), and stroke.
- Lycopene, an antioxidant present in tomatoes promote bone health.
- Polyphenols in apples act as an antioxidant and decreases the oxidation of cell membrane fats.
- Apple cider vinegar is known to reduce blood sugar levels in people with diabetes.
Video Walk Through : Homemade BBQ Sauce Recipe From Scratch
Instructions : Homemade BBQ Sauce Recipe From Scratch
Prep Tomatoes & Bell Pepper
- Cut tomatoes, de-seed them and set aside.
- Halve a red bell pepper. De-seed, dice roughly and set aside.
Prep Spice Powder
- To a pan on medium heat add fennel seeds, cloves, mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Dry roast them for a minute or two to release the flavours without burning them.
- Transfer the dry roasted stuff to a blender and grind them to a fine powder.
Make The Sauce
- Add butter to a sauce pan or heavy bottomed pot on medium heat.
- Add roughly chopped onions, garlic, red bell pepper and de-seeded tomatoes. Saute briskly for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Transfer to a blender and blitz into a very smooth paste.
- Transfer the smooth paste back into the same pot or sauce pan on medium heat.
- Add dried basil leaves, black pepper powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, 100% natural tomato paste, spice powder, palm jaggery, bay leaf and salt to taste. Mix everything well for a minute or two.
- Add freshly pressed apple juice, apple cider vinegar and molasses. Mix again.
- Add a handful of grated cheddar cheese.
- Mix everything well and simmer on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 10 more minutes.
- Taste the sauce and adjust the flavours before turning off the heat.
- Cool the sauce completely before using it in recipes.
Our homemade bbq sauce tastes best when rested for 24 hours. We will be releasing a few recipes using our homemade bbq sauce recipe in the next few days. Do check our YouTube channel or the blog for updates.
Recipes using our Homemade BBQ Sauce
Homemade bbq sauce recipe, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.