About a year ago, we were ardent beer drinkers. One of us never went beyond a pint of stout per sitting, while the other had doubts about tomorrow and drank as if there wasn’t going to be one. We even traveled far and wide following a beer route. Anyway, all that is history now. But the flavours of many fantastic brews still remain with us as an after taste. This healthy pancake recipe is a translation of the milk stout that one of us enjoyed at the Rock bottom brewery in downtown Chicago.
Our healthy pancake recipe is made with pearl barley. Do not serve this with anything, but our very own salted banana sauce. Our pancake recipe will yield 10 barley pancakes and 2 servings of salted banana sauce. One barley pancake provides 117 kilocalories and a serving of banana sauce gives 131 kilocalories. A single serving is 3 pancakes with half of the banana sauce. A single serving contains 610 kilocalories.
To follow our healthy pancake recipe, you will need the ingredients listed below.
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|For Salted Banana Sauce|
|Maple syrup||30 grams|
|For Barley Stout Pancake|
|Pearl Barley||200 grams|
|Black coffee||80 ml|
|100% unsweetened cocoa||1 teaspoon|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Pearl barley contains soluble fiber that controls blood sugar.
- Coffee contains caffeine which improves metabolic rate by increasing the rate at which fat is burnt.
- Molasses contains manganese which helps in improving sexual health.
- Honey contains nutraceuticals that act as an antioxidant and removes free radicals from the body. This improves immunity against fatal conditions such as cancer and heart disease.
- Eggs contain vitamin D which protects bones and prevents osteoporosis and rickets.
- Milk is a rich source of calcium. Besides promoting bone health, calcium is known to reduce chances of cardiovascular disease and stroke.
Video Walk through – Healthy Pancake Recipe – Stout Pancake – Barley Pancake With Banana Sauce
Instructions – Healthy Pancake Recipe – Stout Pancake – Barley Pancake With Banana Sauce
Prep Pancake Batter (Healthy Pancake Recipe)
- Dry roast pearl barley on medium heat for 2 minutes and set aside to cool.
- Transfer dry roasted pearl barley to a bowl.
- Add water and soak barley for 4 hours.
- 4 hours later, discard water. Wash and sort barley thoroughly.
- Transfer barley to a blender. Add little water and blitz into a smooth batter.
- Transfer batter to a mixing bowl.
- Add molasses, black coffee at room temperature and 100% unsweetened cocoa powder. Using a wire whisk, whisk for 2 minutes. We used 100% arabica coffee. You may use the same or any good quality brew of your choice.
- Cover and allow the batter to ferment in a warm, dark place for 24 hours.
- 24 hours later, add egg, milk, honey and a pinch of salt to the batter. Whisk well for 1 to 2 minutes. Ensure that you do not over whisk the batter, else the pancakes would become heavy and dense.
- Cover and rest the batter for 30 minutes.
Make Salted Banana Sauce
- Add butter to a skillet on medium heat.
- Add chopped banana to the melting butter.
- Add maple syrup and saute for a minute or two.
- Add green cardamom and a pinch of salt. Mix and cook for 1 minutes.
- Add milk, mix and reduce for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Set a griddle on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add any cooking oil and grease it well.
- Pour a ladleful of batter and allow it to cook for 2 minutes. You would see the surface forming wet bubbles and gradually go dry. There is no need to flip the pancakes unless you feel that the other side is charring.
- After 2 minutes, remove from heat and serve immediately.
Serve these pancakes hot with fresh salted banana sauce.
Healthy Pancake Recipe – Stout Pancake – Barley Pancake With Banana Sauce, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.