This grilled chicken is not an inspired dish. It is a hissing cooker original that is guaranteed to score big. An awesome grilled chicken will have three characteristics. The skin must crisp up perfectly, that is if you are leaving the skin on. The bird should be moist and succulent from beak to tail, mainly the breasts. The flavouring should be subtle.
Our grilled chicken recipe takes only 90 minutes to make. However, if you are blessed with time, feel free to marinate the bird for 4 to 24 hours. This recipe is also perfect for those Christmas celebrators that do not have an oven big enough to roast or grill a Turkey.
Our grilled chicken recipe will yield 4 servings, with 820 kilocalories in each. To follow our recipe, you will need the ingredients listed below.
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|For Toum (Garlic Sauce) – 390 grams|
|Sunflower oil||200 grams|
|Palm jaggery||25 grams|
|Lemon juice||14 grams|
|To Prep Chicken|
|Hot water||600 ml|
|Coriander power||1.5 tablespoon|
|Fennel powder||1/2 tablespoon|
|Red chilli powder||1 tablespoon|
|Whole chicken with skin||950 grams|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Chicken contains calcium and phosphorus that are essential for healthy bones.
- Garlic helps build a healthy immune system. It also prevents bacterial and fungal infections.
Video Walk Through – Grilled Chicken
Instructions – Grilled Chicken
Prep The Oven
- Preheat the oven to it’s maximum temperature.
Make Toum (Garlic Sauce)
- Transfer peeled garlic pods to a blender.
- Add crushed palm jaggery and sunflower oil. Pulse for 2 minutes to make a smooth paste.
- Add lemon juice and salt. Continue to pulse for 2 more minutes. The resulting emulsion is Toum, the delicious Lebanese garlic sauce.
By using the measurements mentioned under ingredients you will get 390 grams of Toum. For the grilled chicken recipe you will need 100 grams of it (roughly 4 tablespoons).
For a grilled chicken recipe like this, always choose a medium sized bird with skin.
- Place the bird on a roasting rack and pour boiling water all over the skin. Boiling water dries the skin and helps in achieving a crispy texture while roasting.
- Pat dry the chicken inside out using a clean kitchen towel.
- To a bowl add toum, salt to taste, coriander powder, fennel powder and red chilli powder. Mix well into a creamy goo.
Marinate The Chicken & Vegetables
- Smear the marinade all over the chicken and ensure that you don’t spare the cavity.
- If you are left with any marinade, toss your potatoes and carrots in it.
Roast, Grill, Whatever
Total Roasting Time – 40 minutes. (15 minutes at maximum temperature + 25 minutes at 215°C (419°F))
Total Resting Time – 20 minutes
Season the roasting tray and rack with any cooking oil. We used half a tablespoon of sunflower oil.
- Spread the root vegetables evenly in a roasting tray and mount the roasting rack atop.
- Load the chicken upright on the roasting rack.
- Transfer it to an oven preheated to its maximum and cook for 15 minutes.
- 15 minutes later, reduce the temperature to 215°C (419°F) and cook for 25 minutes.
- 25 minutes later, remove the bird from the oven and rest it for at least 20 minutes for the juices to settle. Toss the roasted vegetables and set aside.
Serve the grilled chicken with roasted vegetables.
Hissing Cooker’s Grilled Chicken, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.