Makki Ki Roti, globally known as corn torilla is a gluten free flat bread. Corn tortillas are very nutritious when made with whole corn flour. We used yellow corn flour in this gluten free tortilla recipe to make soft and perfect tortillas. Our gluten free tortilla recipe will yield 4 tortillas, with 103 kilocalories in each. To make whole corn tortillas like us, you will need the following ingredients,
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|Yellow Corn Flour||100 grams|
|Sunflower oil||1/2 tablespoon|
|Hot water||about 60ml|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Yellow corn flour is a good source of zinc that aids enzyme function. Zinc also strengthens the immune system and helps convert food into energy.
- Corn is a rich source of iron and dietary antioxidants. While iron drives metabolism by helping red blood cells transport oxygen, the antioxidants reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
Video Walk Through : Gluten Free Tortilla Recipe – Makki Ki Roti – 100% Whole Corn Tortilla Recipe
Instructions : Gluten Free Tortilla Recipe – Makki Ki Roti – 100% Whole Corn Tortilla Recipe
- Cut open a medium sized zip lock on two sides to make it flip like a note book.
- Grease the inners of the zip lock with any cooking oil and set aside.
Prep The Dough
- Add corn flour to a mixing bowl.
- Add sunflower oil and salt to your taste. Mix everything well
- Add boiling water to the flour. The amount of water required is about half the dry weight of corn flour. You might need a few millilitres more or less depending on climatic conditions. We used about 60 to 70ml of hot water to make our dough.
- Mix everything well with a spoon or spatula first. Once the dough is pleasant to touch, use your hand and knead into a soft non sticky ball. It should take about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Rest the dough for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Set a skillet or griddle on medium heat.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions and roll them into balls using your palm.
- Place the dough onto one greased leaf of the zip lock. Flatten it into a small disk using your fingers.
- Now cover the dough with the other leaf of the zip lock. For better understanding watch our YouTube video above.
- Using a heavy bottomed skillet or plate, press the dough to flatten it.
- Remove gently from the zip lock and transfer it to the griddle on medium heat.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes and flip.
- After another minute of cooking, remove from the griddle and serve.
Wrap the corn tortillas in a clean kitchen towel if you are not serving them immediately. This way, they would remain soft. Serve these gluten free, whole corn tortillas with any curry or gravy of your choice. These tortillas make a perfect shell for tacos. Come back tomorrow for our pulled goat taco.
Other recipes using this gluten free tortilla recipe:
Pulled goat shoulder taco (Coming Soon)
Gluten Free Tortilla Recipe – Makki Ki Roti – 100% Whole Corn Tortilla Recipe, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.