Our heads were into other things hence we couldn’t release this in time for Ramadan. Ful Medames is an Egyptian staple we ate for breakfast, every single day during our time in Egypt. Some of the recipes of Ful made in smaller batches were good and the others, particularly the ones we ate in our cruise ship are not worth mentioning. Anyway, here is our take on the ancient Egyptian classic.
In Indian cooking, cumin is commonly used as a sidekick for coriander. Mostly in the 1:2 ratio, whereas the Egyptians go the other way. Nevertheless, both these cuisines are unique and their techniques produce great results. By the way, Ful is popularly known as fava beans or broad beans in the English speaking world. Our recipe of Ful Medames will yield 4 servings, with 199 kilocalories in each. To follow our recipe, you will need the ingredients listed below,
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|To Prep Ful|
|Dried Ful AKA Fava or broad beans||200 grams|
|To Pressure Cook Ful|
|To Season & Assemble|
|Coriander leaves||A handful|
|Coriander powder||1/2 tablespoon|
|Cumin powder||1 tablespoon|
|Chilli flakes||1 teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||20 ml|
|Olive oil||4 tablespoon|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
Instructions – Ful Medames – An Egyptian Recipe
- Add dried Ful to a large bowl.
- Add water and soak the beans overnight.
- The next morning, discard the water. Wash and sort Ful thoroughly.
Pressure Cook Ful
- Transfer the prepped Ful to a pressure cooker.
- Add chopped tomatoes and salt to taste.
- Cover with water and pressure cook on medium flame for 15 minutes and allow the pressure to release naturally.
Assemble Ful Madames
- Transfer pressure cooked Ful to a mixing bowl.
- Add thinly sliced onions, chopped coriander leaves, coriander powder, cumin powder, chilli flakes and lemon juice. Mix well first.
- Once mixed, roughly mash the beans with a potato masher.
- Serve each portion with a tablespoon of olive oil.
Ful Madames can be eaten as is or with any flat bread of your choice.
Ful Medames, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.