Lentil dosa is a dosa recipe that does not involve fermentation. Lentil dosas are more popular in the households of Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh. These dosas can be made at a short notice and they are best enjoyed right off the griddle. We were blessed with time, hence we soaked the lentils for 24 hours before making a batter. Should you be short of time, just soak the lentils for a couple of hours and go on with the rest of the process.
We have used split chickpeas and mung beans in our dosa recipe. Our dosa recipe will yield 6 dosas, with 122 kilocalories in each. To follow our dosa recipe, you will need the following ingredients,
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|Split chickpeas (Chana dal)||100 grams|
|Mung beans (Moong dal)||50 grams|
|Fenugreek seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Water as required||As required|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Mung bean is a rich source of potassium. A potassium rich diet lowers blood pressure by counteracting the effects of sodium.
- Split chickpea is a good source of iron and is a healthy food source for the anaemic.
- Fenugreek helps flush out harmful toxins from the body.
Video Walk Through : Dosa Recipe – Lentil Dosa
Instructions : Dosa Recipe – Lentil Dosa
- Soak split chickpeas, mung bean and fenugreek in water for 24 hours or at least for a minimum of 4 hours. We soaked the lentils for 24 hours and soaking for a longer period yields the best result.
- After soaking for 24 hours, the lentils would have formed a foul smelling froth on top. Discard this water and thoroughly wash and sort the lentils.
- Once the lentils are washed, transfer them to a blender. Blitz the lentils into a coarse paste by adding very little water.
- Transfer the lentils to a mixing bowl and rest for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add salt and a splash of water. Mix thoroughly to form a semi thick batter. Kindly refer the YouTube video above to understand the texture of the batter.
- Set a griddle on medium heat for 5 minutes and season it with oil. Sprinkle some water on the griddle and balance the temperature.
- Now take a ladle full of batter and pour it on the middle of the hot griddle. Spread the batter evenly using the ladle in a circular motion. Watch the YouTube video above to understand better.
- Give it about 2 minutes on medium heat to cook and crisp up.
- Fold and take the dosa off the heat and serve immediately.
Lentil dosas taste great when they are served right off the griddle. Serve it with our sambar, chutney or meat sauce.
Dosa Recipe – Lentil Dosa, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.