This curry laksa soup is our take on the popular Malay staple. There is absolutely nothing called an authentic laksa. Every family in Southeast Asia has their own recipe and style of making a great tasting laksa. Laksa is often considered a complex dish, mainly due to the multitude of flavours. However, it is fairly easy to make.
We have maintained extreme simplicity in coining our curry laksa recipe. There are no special ingredients involved as we want everyone across the planet to make it and enjoy it with the produce of their land. Curry laksa is a flavourful seafood soup with five significant elements. Them being coconut milk, fish stock, fish balls, curry base and some greens. Click on each element to find their HOW TO instructions.
Our curry laksa recipe will yield 3 servings, with 781 kilocaories in each. To make curry laksa lemak you will need the following ingredients,
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|To Prep Whole Wheat Noodles|
|Whole wheat noodles||100 grams|
|Fish stock or Water||1 litre|
|Coconut oil||1/2 tablespoon|
|For Laksa Paste|
|Mint leaves||10 leaves|
|Lemon grass||12 grams|
|Dried shrimp||20 grams|
|Red chilli powder||1 tablespoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Palm jaggery||20 grams|
|Fish stock or water||A splash|
|To Flavour The Oil|
|Coconut oil||1 tablespoon|
|Shrimp shells, heads||A handful|
|Fish stock||1 litre|
|Coriander powder||1 tablespoon|
|Lemon zest||1 teaspoon|
|Coconut milk||200 ml|
|Fish balls||6 balls|
|Coriander leaves||10 leaves|
|Bean sprouts||30 grams|
Click the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Lauric acid in coconut milk maintains the elasticity of blood vessels and keeps them clean. This lowers the risk of atherosclerosis and heart disease.
- Medium-chain triglycerides present in coconut oil increases energy expenditure by 5% in a day. This assists in weight loss in a longer run if consumed in moderation.
- Omega 3 fatty acids found in seafood protects the eye sight of those experiencing age-related macular degeneration.
Video Walk Through : Curry Laksa Lemak – Easy Nyonya Laksa From Scratch
Instructions : Curry Laksa Lemak – Easy Nyonya Laksa From Scratch
Prepare The Noodles
- Bring a pot of homemade fish stock to a rolling boil. Click here or on any of the respective hyperlink for fish stock recipe.
- Add 100% whole wheat noodles and cook until done. Our noodles took about 8 minutes. You may refer the cooking instructions on your packet of noodles. If you are using homemade noodles, cook them until they float on top.
- Drain the homemade fish stock through a colander and reserve it to make laksa.
- Add half a tablespoon of coconut oil to the noodles, toss and set them aside to cool.
Make Laksa Paste
- To a blender add shallots, garlic, ginger, green chilli, lemon grass stalk, almonds, mint leaves, palm jaggery, dried shrimp, red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- Add very little fish stock and blitz into a smooth paste.
Flavour The Oil
- To a hot pan add coconut oil.
- Throw in a handful of shrimp heads and shells.
- Saute until the shrimp heads and shells turn orange. At this stage the oil would have taken all the flavours from the heads and shells.
- Scoop out the heads and shells from hot oil and discard them.
- Now to the flavour infused coconut oil on medium heat add the laksa paste.
- Saute and caramelize the laksa paste for 5 minutes.
- Add homemade fish stock and simmer for 10 minutes on medium heat. Click here or on any of the respective hyperlinks for fish stock recipe.
- Add coriander powder, salt to taste, lemon zest and mix thoroughly.
- Add freshly pressed homemade coconut milk and mix. Click here or on any of the respective hyperlinks to find instructions to press your own coconut milk right at home.
- Add lemon juice, mix and simmer for 10 more minutes on medium heat.
- Add homemade fish balls & fresh shrimp to the curry. Cook for just two minutes on medium-low heat. Click here or on any of the respective hyperlinks for our fish balls recipe.
- Add a few coriander leaves and take laksa off the heat.
- Rest for 15 minutes.
- To a bowl add a handful of cooked whole wheat noodles.
- Top the noodles with bean sprouts.
- Pour a generous ladle of laksa on top.
You can even serve curry laksa with a halved hard boiled egg.
Curry Laksa Lemak – Easy Nyonya Laksa From Scratch, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.