Polenta is not an ingredient, but a dish made with coarsely ground corn, also known as grits or corn semolina. An evening of aimless cooking led us to this creamy polenta recipe. Since then, we have made this on numerous occasions and at the end of each time, our plates were cleaner than what a dish washer could deliver. Grilled prawns are a perfect sidekick for creamy polenta. However, you may choose to use any meat of your choice or stay vegetarian.
Our creamy polenta recipe will yield 4 servings, with 410 kilocalories in each. To follow our creamy polenta recipe, you will need the ingredients listed below,
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|To Grill Prawns|
|Red chilli powder||1 teaspoon|
|Sunflower oil||1/2 tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||14 ml|
|To Make Creamy Polenta|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1/2 tablespoon|
|Garlic soaked in olive oil||50 grams|
|Green chilli||1 or 2|
|Green peas||100 grams|
|Red chilli powder||1 tablespoon|
|Corn semolina||100 grams|
|Coriander leaves||A handful|
|Parmesan cheese||2 tablespoon|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Corn contains dietary fibers that reduce the risk of hemorrhoids and colorectal cancer.
- Milk reduces acidity throughout the body.
- Prawns are a great source of heart friendly omega 3 fatty acids. Even though prawns have higher cholesterol content, they don’t increase the bad cholesterol levels in body due to their healthy fat profile.
Video Walk Through – Creamy Polenta Recipe – Polenta & Grilled Prawns
Instructions – Creamy Polenta Recipe – Polenta & Grilled Prawns
Make Dry Rub
- In a bowl mix red chilli powder and salt at a 2:1 ratio.
This is your dry rub for grilling prawns.
- Devein and wash prawns. Pat them dry with a clean kitchen towel.
- Refrigerate them for 30 minutes.
- Skewer the prawns to facilitate even cooking. Set aside. Watch the YouTube video instructions above to understand better.
Prep Corn Semolina for Creamy Polenta Recipe
- Set a pan on medium heat.
- Add corn semolina and toast for a minute or two. Pay close attention so that you don’t burn the corn semolina.
- Set aside and bring it to room temperature.
- Set a skillet on medium heat.
- Add butter and allow it to melt.
- Add sunflower oil to the melting butter and spread it evenly on the skillet.
- Add the skewered prawns, sprinkle the dry rub generously and cook for a minute until the prawns turn mildly orange.
- A minute later, flip the prawns and sprinkle the dry rub again. Allow the prawns the cook for another minute.
- Pour little lemon juice over the prawns and allow it to bubble for 10 seconds.
- Remove the prawns from the skillet & set aside.
Make Creamy Polenta
- Set a sauce pan or pot on medium heat.
- Add butter and allow it to melt.
- Add extra virgin olive oil to the melting butter.
- Add green chilli, sliced shallots and garlic soaked in olive oil. If you haven’t soaked garlic in olive oil for at least a week, feel free to use fresh garlic.
- Add salt and allow the shallots to sweat on medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and green peas. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add red chilli powder and mix well for a minute.
- Add milk and mix well. Bring the milk to a boil. For 100 grams of corn semolina, you would need 500 ml of milk.
- Once the milk comes to a boil, reduce the temperature to medium-low.
- Sprinkle toasted corn semolina gradually and mix simultaneously. This technique is important for a lump free polenta.
- Once all the corn semolina is mixed in, raise the heat to medium and continue to mix until most of the milk is absorbed. This should take 5-7 minutes.
- 5 minutes later, add a handful of coriander leaves and mix until all the milk is absorbed. Should take another 3 minutes.
- 3 minutes later, add grated parmesan cheese. Mix well and turn off the heat.
Serve creamy polenta hot with grilled prawns.
Creamy Polenta Recipe – Polenta & Grilled Prawns, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.