Chicken Xacuti is one of the many fantastic goan curries. We often feel that most people rave about their fondness for vindaloo and underplay the xacuti for no good reason. We like a good vindaloo and at the same time love this underdog equally. Anyway, now that you are here, you might as well check out our vindaloo too. Click here for the recipe.
Follow our recipe as is and keep in mind that a great chicken xacuti is all about balanced flavours. You do not have to make it fiery just because it is a goan curry. While cooking, taste at regular intervals and spice it up to a level you could enjoy. Our chicken xacuti recipe will yield 4 servings, with 538 kilocalories in each. To follow our chicken xacuti recipe, you will need the ingredients listed below.
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|Coriander leaves||A handful|
|For Xacuti Masala Paste|
|Dried red chilli||2|
|Black peppercorns||1/4 tablespoon|
|Coriander seeds||1 tablespoon|
|Cumin seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Fennel seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Poppy seeds (Khus Khus)||30 grams|
|Fenugreek seeds||1/4 tablespoon|
|Coconut oil||1/2 tablespoon|
|For Xacuti Curry|
|Coconut oil||1/2 tablespoon|
|Turmeric powder||A pinch|
|Chicken stock or water||About 500 ml|
|Nutmeg powder||1/4 teaspoon|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Chicken contains an amino acid called tryptophan which is a natural anti-depressant.Facts
- Poppy seeds are a good source of zinc that helps maintain a strong immune system.
- Coconut has a low glycemic index and reduces the risks associated with diabetes.
- Red chillies contain a substance called capsaicin which fights inflammation.
Video Walk Through – Chicken Xacuti
Instructions – Chicken Xacuti
- Wash chicken drumsticks thoroughly. Pat dry with a kitchen towel and refrigerate.
- Add coriander leaves, green chilli, ginger, garlic and salt to your taste to a blender. Add a splash of water and blitz into a smooth paste.
- Transfer chicken to a mixing bowl and pour the freshly ground paste all over the chicken. Cover the chicken thoroughly.
- Cover and refrigerate over night for best results. If you are short of time, marinate at least for 4 hours.
Prep Xacuti Masala Paste
- Set a pan on medium heat. Add dried red chillies, fenugreek seeds, poppy seeds, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds and black peppercorns. Go easy on the fenugreek seeds. Excess of it would ruin the masala and make the curry very bitter.
- Dry roast and mildly brown the spices for a minute or two and release the flavours. Set aside and bring to room temperature.
- Add coconut oil to a pan on medium heat.
- Add chopped fresh coconut, shallots, garlic and ginger. Saute for 5 minutes and brown them.
- Once browned, transfer to a blender and add the dry roasted spices.
- Add little water and blitz into a smooth paste.
Make Chicken Xacuti
- Add coconut oil to a pot or sauce pan on medium heat.
- Add cinnamon stick, mace, star anise and cloves. Saute for a minute.
- Add a slit green chilli followed by chopped onions. Saute and sweat the onions for 2 minutes.
- Add the marinated chicken without the marinade. Sear on medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add xacuti masala paste, turmeric powder and salt to your taste. Mix everything well and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add homemade chicken stock or water and cover the contents of the pot. Mix well and simmer for 10 minutes. Adding homemade chicken stock improves the overall flavour of the curry when compared to water. Anyway, it is optional. If you do not have the time to make chicken stock, just go with water. Instructions on how to make chicken stock are here or click on any of the highlighted hyperlinks.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 30 to 40 minutes on medium-low heat.
- 30-40 minutes later, add very little nutmeg powder. Mix well and remove from heat.
- Rest Xacuti for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Chicken Xacuti, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.