Cassava root also referred to as Tapioca is called Maravalli kizhangu in Tamizh, Kappa in Malayalam and Sabudana in Hindi. We don’t cook often with this delicious root and this cassava recipe was born out of necessity. One of us got excited and picked up moringa leaves in excess from a street vendor and we had to find different ways to finish it off. This is recipe is one of them. By the way moringa leaves are commonly known as drumstick leaves in English and murungai keerai in Tamizh.
We are neither chefs by trade nor are we under the compulsion to impress anyone with our culinary skills. We are regular people who eat simple food at home. On hissingcooker.com we show you what we eat on a daily basis. We loved this cassava recipe and hope you will love it too.
Our cassava recipe will yield 4 servings, with 322 kilocalories in each. To make this stir fry using our cassava recipe, you will need the ingredients listed below,
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|To Pressure Cook Cassava (Tapioca)|
|Cassava (Tapioca)||500 grams|
|To Stir Fry|
|Gingelly oil||1 tablespoon|
|Curry leaves||A sprig|
|Urad dal||1/2 teaspoon|
|Chana dal||1/2 teaspoon|
|Mustard seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Moringa (drumstick leaves)||150 grams|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Red chilli powder||1/2 tablespoon|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Cassava is gluten free and a moderate source of B complex vitamins. It is also a good source of saponins which lowers bad cholesterol in the blood.
- Moringa leaves contain antioxidants that reduce the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
Video Walk Through – Tapioca Moringa Stir Fry – Cassava Recipe – Murungai Keerai – Drumstick Leaves
Instructions – Tapioca Moringa Stir Fry – Cassava Recipe – Murungai Keerai – Drumstick Leaves
Prep Cassava (Tapioca)
- Peel the cassava root, dice it using a sharp knife and wash it thoroughly.
- Transfer the diced cassava root to a pressure cooker.
- Cover with water and pressure cook for 2 whistles on medium heat.
- After 2 whistles, turn off the heat and allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Drain the pressure cooked cassava through a colander and set it aside.
- Set a pot or sauce pan on medium heat.
- Add gingelly oil and allow it to heat up.
- Add curry leaves, slit green chillies, urad dal, chana dal, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, julienned ginger and asafoetida. Saute for a minute or two.
- Add sliced onions, chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder and salt to your taste. Mix well and sweat the onions for 5 minutes.
- Add moringa leaves and pressure cooked cassava. Mix well and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add red chilli powder and sprinkle two handfuls of water. Mix well and cook for 10 minutes.
- Once all the water is reduced, turn off heat and serve as you wish.
Enjoy this cassava recipe as is or with any rice, millet or bread.
Tapioca Moringa Stir Fry – Cassava Recipe – Murungai Keerai – Drumstick Leaves, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.