Brown rice pilaf, pulao, call it whatever you want. Our brown rice pilaf brings all the healthy ingredients into one pot of unparalleled comfort. Should you make it once, you are guaranteed to make it again. This healthy recipe of brown rice pilaf will yield 4 servings, with 339 kilocalories in each. You will need the following ingredients to make brown rice pilaf, just like the way we made it.
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|To Pressure Cook|
|Brown rice||200 grams|
|To Stir Fry|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 tablespoon|
|Button mushroom||150 grams|
|100% tomato paste||25 grams|
|Garlic soaked in olive oil||50 grams|
|Kidney beans (Rajma)||100 grams|
|Red chilli powder||1/2 tablespoon|
|Coriander powder||1 tablespoon|
|Cheddar cheese||80 grams|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Brown rice is rich in selenium and is a concentrated source of fiber. Both these are known to reduce the risk of colon cancer.
- Kidney beans are a very good source of fiber that lowers cholesterol. They are also a significant source of folate and magnesium that promote heart health.
- Cheddar cheese is a rich source of calcium that contributes to bone health. Actually the small amounts of vitamin B present in this cheese helps in absorption and distribution of calcium.
Video Walk Through : Brown Rice Pilaf
Instructions : Brown Rice Pilaf
- Pressure cook brown rice for two whistles and set aside.
- Pressure cook kidney beans for 15 minutes and set aside.
- Add extra virgin olive to a pan on medium heat.
- Add garlic soaked in olive oil. You can also use fresh garlic, but garlic that has been soaked in olive oil for at least a week adds a special flavour.
- Add chopped onions, tomatoes, mushrooms and salt to your taste. Saute briskly for 5 minutes on medium heat and allow everything to sweat.
- Bring in the pressure cooked kidney beans and tomato paste. Use a good quality, all natural and preservative free tomato paste. If you do not find one, it is better you leave it out completely.
- Add coriander powder, red chilli powder and mix thoroughly.
- Add the pressure cooked brown rice and mix again.
- Once the rice is mixed well, sprinkle a handful of cheddar cheese on top. Cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes on low heat.
- 10 minutes later, take it off the heat and rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Enjoy this brown rice pilaf as is.
Healthy Brown Rice Pilaf, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.