‘Baking is an art’, not to us at least. We consider baking as a form of cooking that allows us to eat something different. Different from what we usually feed ourselves. Eating healthy was once an option, but not anymore. Of late, we create opportunities to remain virgins to this mandate by eating wonderful things like these banana blueberry muffins.
We made these banana blueberry muffins in a mug. However, you may use a muffin tin or whatever you have. We are not chefs or passionate bakers, hence a muffin in a mug was good enough for us. Our banana blueberry muffins recipe will yield 2 mug muffins with 599 kilocalories in each. You will need the ingredients listed below to bake these whole wheat muffins,
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|To Grease Mug|
|Sunflower oil||1/2 teaspoon|
|Whole wheat flour||100 grams|
|Sunflower oil||14 grams|
|Cinnamon powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1/2 teaspoon|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Bananas are a rich source of heart friendly fiber, potassium, vitamin C and B6.
- Plantains are diuretic and help prevent kidney and bladder problems.
- Blueberries are rich in antioxidants that prevent neuro-degenerative diseases.
Video Walk Through – Banana Blueberry Muffins – Mug Muffin – Whole Wheat Muffins
Instructions – Banana Blueberry Muffins – Mug Muffin – Whole Wheat Muffins
- Grease the inners of the mugs with half a tablespoon of sunflower or any neutral flavoured cooking oil.
- Take a mixing bowl.
- Add a very ripe banana and a plantain to the bowl. Mash them thoroughly using a spatula or a spoon or a masher.
- Add whole wheat flour.
- Add honey to your taste. We used about 100 grams, you may use a few grams more or less depending on the sweetness you prefer.
- Add egg and sunflower oil.
- Add a cinnamon powder and a pinch of salt.
- Add milk and mix everything well for a minute or two. Ensure that all the ingredients are well combined and the batter is lump free.
- Add baking powder and quickly mix it in for 20 seconds. Do not over whisk the batter as the muffins would become dense. Also note that once the baking powder is added, you have to bake immediately.
- Divide the batter between the two greased mugs.
- Top the batter in the mugs with blueberries.
- Transfer the mugs to an oven preheated to 225ºC (437ºF) for 25 minutes. Place a bowl of water in the oven to create steam. Baking for 25 minutes will give you soft muffins with a semi gooey center. If you want your muffins to have a firmer core, you may leave them in the oven for 5 minutes longer. We prefer underdone muffins to over cooked ones.
- 25 minutes later, remove the mugs from oven. Rest the mugs for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Banana Blueberry Muffins – Mug Muffin – Whole Wheat Muffins, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.