Asian noodle soup! the question is, where have we not eaten it? We are privileged to have eaten the finest from the regions that really mean business. Guangzhou, one of the many culinary capitals of China is an ace when it comes to noodle soups. Our travels not only give us the chance to taste delicacies in the lands of their origin but also educate us to reproduce them upon our return. Every great dish has one secret recipe in common. The secret being keeping things simple!
When a Pan Asian restaurant in Bangalore refused us entry, we made it a point to put our travel experience to good use. It was the day when the mixer grinder you often see in our videos went cranky and we had to take it to a near by service center. Once the job was done, we were walking towards the bus station to return home. Having spent an entire morning at the service center we were hungry and upon seeing this restaurant we though we would grab a bowl of noodle soup and relax. Well, we were refused service right at the door. Maybe we appeared like people below their serving standards and we returned home with a vengeance to treat ourselves right.
We care the least for authenticity when it comes to food as our objective circles around accurate flavour reproduction. We do this by sourcing the cheapest ingredients locally and turning them into healthy recipes. Our Asian noodle soup is fairly easy to make and more importantly it is as comforting as the ones you would find in Hong Kong and China. Our recipe will yield 6 servings, with 771 kilocalories in each. To follow our recipe, you will need the ingredients listed below.
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|Prep Chicken & Stock|
|Chicken with skin||1 kilogram|
|Bell pepper||50 grams|
|Spring onion||50 grams|
|To Season The Stock|
|Soy sauce||4 tablespoon|
|Fish sauce||4 tablespoon|
|To Season Chicken|
|Toasted sesame seed oil||1/2 tablespoon|
|Soy sauce||2 tablespoon|
|Fish sauce||2 tablespoon|
|Chilli flakes||1/2 tablespoon|
|White pepper powder||1 teaspoon|
|Whole wheat noodles||400 grams|
|Spring onion||50 grams|
|Soft boiled egg||6|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
Video Walk Through – Asian Noodle Soup – Easy Chicken Noodle Soup
Instructions – Asian Noodle Soup – Easy Chicken Noodle Soup
Prep Chicken & Stock
- Add 3.5 litres of water to a heavy bottomed pot and bring it to a rolling boil. Reduce the heat to low.
- Add diced carrot, radish, potato, bell pepper, spring onion and whole chicken with skin. Seal the pot tightly with a lid and simmer for 40-45 minutes.
- 45 minutes later, remove the chicken from the pot and set it aside. Also remove all the vegetables and eat them or discard.
- Add good quality, all natural soy sauce and fish sauce to the stock. Increase the heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes.
- After simmering the stock for 15 minutes with soy sauce and fish sauce, add whole wheat noodles. Cook the noodles to al dente. It should take 7-8 minutes.
- Remove the noodles from the stock and toss them with toasted sesame oil. Set aside for a while.
- Once the chicken reaches room temperature, shred it using a fork and discard the bones or munch them.
- To the shredded chicken, add soy sauce, fish sauce, white pepper and chilli flakes to your taste. Mix well.
Assemble The Bowl Of Asian Noodle Soup
- To a bowl, add the al dente noodles.
- Top the noodles with diced spring onions and pour hot stock over it.
- Add the shredded chicken and sprinkle some more spring onions.
- Serve the noodle soup hot with a soft boiled egg.
Asian Noodle Soup – Easy Chicken Noodle Soup, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.