Our achari chicken kabab is very different from the ones that are made in restaurants across India. We have fashioned it similar to a tandoori chicken. But the flavours of this achari chicken kabab are distinctly unique. We have introduced fruity notes to the kabab by making a basic South Indian pickle using green mango. The pickle is then allowed to age for a couple of days and then mixed with the marinade. If you are short of time, feel free to make a fresh batch of pickle and use it right away. But, make sure to marinate the chicken for 24 hours.
Our achari chicken kabab recipe will yield 2 chicken thighs, with 621 kilocalories in each. To follow our achari chicken kabab recipe, you will need the ingredients listed below,
Ingredients, Measurements & Nutritional Values
|For Pickle (Achar)|
|Green mango||50 grams|
|Urad Dal||1/2 teaspoon|
|Fenugreek leaves||1 tablespoon|
|Turmeric root||4 grams|
|Red chilli powder||1 tablespoon|
|Palm jaggery||10 grams|
|Gingelly oil (sesame oil)||1 tablespoon|
|Hung curd||200 grams|
|Gingelly oil (sesame oil)||1/2 tablespoon|
Click on the nutritional chart below to zoom
- Chicken is a great source of selenium. Selenium is an antioxidant that improves the activity of vitamins C and D in their ability to fight cancer causing free radicals.
- Green mango pickle is rich in beta-carotene. Beta-carotene offers protection against prostate cancer.
Video Walk Through : Achari Chicken Kabab – Tandoori Style Pickled Chicken Kabab
Instructions : Achari Chicken Kabab – Tandoori Style Pickled Chicken Kabab
Make Achar (Pickle)
- To a pan on medium heat add sesame oil. Sesame seed oil is also known as gingelly oil or til oil. For best results,sesame oil is recommended. However, if you could not find it in your part of the world, feel free to use a cooking oil of your choice.
- To the oil, add mustard seeds, urad dal (black gram), asafoetida, slivered turmeric root, slivered ginger, chopped garlic, curry leaves and dried fenugreek leaves. Saute briskly for 2 minutes on medium heat. Should finding fresh turmeric root be a challenge, use half a teaspoon of turmeric powder along with the other spices in step 3.
- Add green mangoes, crushed palm jaggery, red chilli powder and salt to taste. Saute for 10 minutes on medium heat. We do not add water in this recipe. Allow the mangoes to sweat and cook in its own moisture.
- Take it off the heat and refrigerate once it reaches room temperature.
For great results, rest the achar (pickle) at least for a couple of days before using it in the marinade. However, if you are short of time, feel free to use it fresh.
Make Achari Chicken Kabab
- Wash chicken thighs and pat dry with a clean kitchen towel.
- Score the chicken thighs on both sides with a sharp kitchen knife. This allows the marinade to reach deep into the flesh.
- Transfer the chicken thighs to a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Add hung curd, achar (pickle) to a blender. Blitz into a smooth paste. To make hung curd, follow the HOW TO instructions here or click on the hyperlink above the subject.
- Add the curd-achar paste to the chicken and coat it well.
- Add Gingelly oil (sesame oil) and spread it roughly.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- 24 hours later, grease a baking rack with any cooking oil.
- Mount the marinated chicken thighs on the baking rack and brush it with the left over marinade.
- Transfer to an oven preheated to 225ºC (437ºF) and bake for 25 minutes or until a thermometer probed reads an internal temperature of 70-74ºC (150-165.2ºF).
- 25 minutes later, remove from the oven and rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Enjoy this achari chicken kabab as is or with a chutney of your choice.
Achari Chicken Kabab – Tandoori Style Pickled Chicken Kabab, another healthy recipe, the hissing cooker way.